1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

1 or 2 savannah kittens with my housecat?

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Questions? Need Savannah Cat Advice?' started by Zickaa, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Zickaa

Zickaa

Hi!
    My bf and I are going to buy one savannah or two soon.
    But I'm wondering if it would be best for my housecat (5yrs) to get one or two? :uh oh:
    My housecat is extremly relaxed, not really playfull and likes to sleep..
    Will it be best with two, so my cat won't be "obligated" to play? She is shy and slightly weird.. :p

2. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

In general, it would be best for your current cat and the new one if the new one had another energetic cat to play with so I would recommend getting 2 savannahs. In time, your current cat may adapt to one new kitty but, from personal experience, I can say that it works better for the SV to have another SV as a companion.

• Like Like x 1
  3. MK Anderson

MK Anderson Guest

I would recommend two, also.

4. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

I would also recommend an energetic companion to keep up with the Savannah if you don't think your house cat is up to the task. However, there are many active breeds available that are well suited as Savannah companions but not as pricey (depending upon what generation Savannah you are thinking about getting), e.g., Abyssinians, Highlanders, Bengals, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

You can probably get one for a while but eventually will need to get a companion for the Savannah...either a second Savannah or another high energy breed as suggested above or the patient sort that put up with their antics well like a Maine Coon or British Shorthair...they can wrestle and tackle those all day and it won't bother them...

6. Pam Flachs

Pam Flachs Savannah Super Cat

Good advice so far from all. It's quite possible your sedentary house cat may perk up with a new energetic companion. If not, then consider another Savannah, or other high-energy breed as Patti suggested...

7. Glamouresque

Glamouresque Savannah Super Cat

Orientals also are a great match (as you can see in my avatar). My savannahs are even less active than my orientals and sleep more ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I love the OS...great personalities, wicked smart and very cool cats!

9. Zickaa

Zickaa

Here in Norway F1 - F4 is forbidden unless you're a breeder, so it's going to be an F6 or F7 I think.
    Should I just get one, and see if my housecat is up to the task? And if she's not, get one more. Does that sound like a good idea? :p

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

10. Todd L

Todd L Savannah Super Cat

I would probably try 1 Savannah and see how your house cats does with your new SV in the house. As others said your current cat may perk up. However getting 2 Savannahs isnt a bad option either. Regardless you will most likely end up with more than one savannah. As they say there like Lays potatoe chips.. You cant just have one! LoL.

• Like Like x 2