Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Abnormal find

Nicaboli

Savannah Super Cat
Hey there. It has been a wild few weeks with Mango. Let me share some details and maybe someone has had this experience with their male savannah. This past Tuesday, Mango went in for his neuter. At 6 months old, his testicles still had not descended, so the doc did the cryptorchid procedure for search and rescue. The doc called me after he was finished and said Mango was finished and was awake and resting. However, he began to tell me that this surgery was one of the most difficult neuters he had done. Long story short, the doc could not find the testicles in the "usual" areas along the abdomen to the scrotum. When he finally did find them, he said that they were in an unusual place and the most abnormal looking testicles he ever saw in shape, size, and overall appearance. I told him, in case he wasn't aware, that since Mango is an F1, he was born sterile. I didn't know if that had anything to do with the abnormality or not. So the doc had a website he used to research what I told him. Come to find out, another doc had a similar experience with an F1 Bengal. This doc had sent the testicles away for examination and the results came back that the abnormal testicles were ovaries! What?? Is that weird or what? So my doc sent Mango's away to be tested as well. He hasn't gotten the results back yet, but will let me know when he does. And while Mango was under, we had a PCR panel done for his ongoing respiratory issues. I hope they come back with a result that will be easily treated and help Mango breathe better finally. Since we got him 3 months ago, he has had a tough time. We notified his breeder about the giardia (which is finally gone too) and the URI to find out if any of his other cats have had this, but haven't heard back from him yet.

Anyway, let me say how difficult it has been to keep Mango resting and not jumping around during his post-op rest. He is ready to go! But this is only day 4, so I still have to keep him doing things low-key. Has anyone had any experience with any of the above and/or the post-op recovery of cryptorchids? Any and all advice would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Trish Allearz

I'm not sure he's a crypt if those end up being ovaries! I'd think hermaphroditism instead. Anyways, let us know what the doc says!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Hmmm. IF they are ovaries, would Mango have male or female hormones and therefore male or female behavior patterns, and male or female body size. As Mr. Spock would say, "Interesting...." No matter, he is still a great looking kitty, whatever he turnes out to express as. :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
It could be that Mango is actually a female...a friend recently sent in some testing to a lab for genetics and the test came back that the male was a female...oops...neither she nor her vet saw this coming...

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Did you vet do a scan or look for a uterus too? This is super interesting and I'm looking forward to you sharing the results of the test. Mango is uber unique.

Nicaboli

Savannah Super Cat
I've been researching hermaphroditism in felines since I got the phone call. It's all interesting stuff for sure!! I really can't wait to find out the results because Mango has all male genitals and no female genitals....unless, of course the results come back positive for ovaries.

At 6 months, he is 9 pounds and quite handsome...but of course, I'm biased :) He seems all boy to me...the way he sounds, walks, behaves, etc., but all I've ever had were male cats, so what do I know?

He is super lovey to my daughters and me, but to my husband, he has a different behavior and vocal sounds altogether...almost territorial or something. It's pretty funny and odd at the same time. So, I'm not sure what to say about his behavior being mostly male or female, but he is phenomenal and I love him lots.

I'll share any updates as I receive them.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I've been researching hermaphroditism in felines since I got the phone call. It's all interesting stuff for sure!! I really can't wait to find out the results because Mango has all male genitals and no female genitals....unless, of course the results come back positive for ovaries.

At 6 months, he is 9 pounds and quite handsome...but of course, I'm biased :) He seems all boy to me...the way he sounds, walks, behaves, etc., but all I've ever had were male cats, so what do I know?

He is super lovey to my daughters and me, but to my husband, he has a different behavior and vocal sounds altogether...almost territorial or something. It's pretty funny and odd at the same time. So, I'm not sure what to say about his behavior being mostly male or female, but he is phenomenal and I love him lots.

I'll share any updates as I receive them.

Doesn't really matter, he is gorgeous and you love him...but it will be interesting to hear the results...if no uterus, then I would guess hermaphrodite perhaps...time will tell...

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
It is probably not that important to Nicaboli, as long as he is in good health and she can snuggle him and love him and be bossed around by him. ;)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I have heard of only one Savannah that was a hermaphrodite, he/she was an F2, and that was several years ago. It is pretty rare, but it does happen - in any breed!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk