Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Adding Another

John Popp

Site Supporter

Just teasing you

Oh I know, and am very much looking forward to my opportunity to return the favor.

On a more serious note, is there any real data on this? Obviously most breeders price females at a lower cost and my personal experience is female cats are simply more independent. Our boys on the other hand have always been very needy, oft flamboyant and at times completely reckless. Small sample size of personal experience although a collection of friends has experienced the same.

T

The Kasbah

Oh I know, and am very much looking forward to my opportunity to return the favor.

On a more serious note, is there any real data on this? Obviously most breeders price females at a lower cost and my personal experience is female cats are simply more independent. Our boys on the other hand have always been very needy, oft flamboyant and at times completely reckless. Small sample size of personal experience although a collection of friends has experienced the same.

By "real data" I assume you are wondering if there has been any scientific study on this? Not to my knowledge...

I am not sure why you would say that Breeders price female pets less than males. I have never known that to be the case at all, in fact early generation females command prices significantly higher than males do.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, our INTACT females TEND to be a bit more independent, but we have never experienced any differences in general temperament in any of our altered animals that is gender based.

People tend to prefer one gender over the other, but after observing hundreds of Savannah kittens over the years, my sampling indicates that there is no difference between the friendliness and/or neediness of males vs. females. In fact several of my F1 Breeding females are FAR more needy than my altered male house pets.

Last edited by a moderator:

admin

Paige
Staff member

I'm with Cynthia, John...why would you say that most breeders price females lower? I haven't seen this, nor do I do this...

John Popp

Site Supporter
Hmmm, guess I should have said some as opposed to most. Just my observation and there are definitely a few breeders who do it as a regular practice.

Trish Allearz

I do. My f2 girls whom I've placed as pets 99.9999 percent of the time are a little lower than my male f2 kittens. My kittens, my prerogative. my males tend to be typier as well as much bigger in the f2 generation than my amazing little girls. With my f6 kittens, however, I think there is less difference and therefore I don't differentiate in price due to sex.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Pricing based on type is not the same as pricing per gender. I always price based on type, has nothing to do with gender, at least not in my experience or practice.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Hmmm, guess I should have said some as opposed to most. Just my observation and there are definitely a few breeders who do it as a regular practice.
I think often the females will be priced lower as pet because of the size potential... the females rarely attain the size of their brothers. And size really is a consideration for so many pet buyers...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Size has never been a factor in how I price my kittens, although I do understand that the myth of Savannahs being huge cats persists to this day.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I'm with you Patti...I price based on type ;-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk