Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Adopted a F3 male Savannah cat and I have so many questions! Please help!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree that getting him neutered is your first step. Even though he is difficult to handle, if he will go into a carrier you can get him to the vet to be neutered - just be sure to let the staff there know the situation so they will know how best to handle him.

You may actually want to keep a carrier in his room if you don't already. Most cats like having a place to retreat to and it would be preferable (from your standpoint) for him to be running into a carrier to always running under the bed (you may also want to check to make sure he is not urinating under the bed). To encourage him to use the carrier you can put treats in there (or even his regular food) so that he relates it to a good experience.

As others have mentioned you should continue using the same litter and litterbox type that Aldo is used to, but you can mix the Cat Attract (I am assuming that is the litter you are talking about) in with it to encourage him to use his box.

As for getting him to start accepting him, you are on the right track - continue to sit in the room with him and read out loud or just talk to him. You can also try to engage him with a wand toy - often cats become so engrossed in the chase that they don't mind if you happen to touch/pet them as they run by, and will jump in your lap without second thought as they try to grab the elusive toy. Avoid eye contact at this stage as this can be perceived as a challenge, but blinking slowly then turning your head away is kitty talk for acceptance of him.

Bottom line - patience will be your most effective tool - give him time to adjust, accept, and feel comfortable in his new home. A week may seem a long time to you, but it may take many more weeks, or even months before he fully accepts being in his new home. You may consider introducing him to your other cats before that happens, but if you do just realize that he may bond to them instead of you, in which case you may never win him over. If he has been around dogs before, you can introduce him to yours any time after he has met the other cats, but if not he may need even more time to accept that a dog can be a friend rather than a foe.

Abby

Savannah Child
Witchy gave you great advice :)

One thought I had is that if he is timid and hiding under the bed, where is the litterbox from there and I wondered if it was out in the open and felt too exposed for him right now? Are you using the same type of litterbox as the previous owner and maybe the same type of litter? Often it helps to keep those things as similar as possible at least initially...

The litter box is right next to the bed. It's one with a cover but I took the cover off assuming he didn't like it since he was peeing on the floor. I just bought the same litter the previous owner used. Last night I was in the room with Aldo and one of my other cats came in front of the door and they starting putting their paws under the door and Aldo seemed like he was playing under the door but then started meowing and peed right by the door as I was watching him. Could this be because my other cat stressed him out?

Abby

Savannah Child
I agree that getting him neutered is your first step. Even though he is difficult to handle, if he will go into a carrier you can get him to the vet to be neutered - just be sure to let the staff there know the situation so they will know how best to handle him.

You may actually want to keep a carrier in his room if you don't already. Most cats like having a place to retreat to and it would be preferable (from your standpoint) for him to be running into a carrier to always running under the bed (you may also want to check to make sure he is not urinating under the bed). To encourage him to use the carrier you can put treats in there (or even his regular food) so that he relates it to a good experience.

As others have mentioned you should continue using the same litter and litterbox type that Aldo is used to, but you can mix the Cat Attract (I am assuming that is the litter you are talking about) in with it to encourage him to use his box.

As for getting him to start accepting him, you are on the right track - continue to sit in the room with him and read out loud or just talk to him. You can also try to engage him with a wand toy - often cats become so engrossed in the chase that they don't mind if you happen to touch/pet them as they run by, and will jump in your lap without second thought as they try to grab the elusive toy. Avoid eye contact at this stage as this can be perceived as a challenge, but blinking slowly then turning your head away is kitty talk for acceptance of him.

Bottom line - patience will be your most effective tool - give him time to adjust, accept, and feel comfortable in his new home. A week may seem a long time to you, but it may take many more weeks, or even months before he fully accepts being in his new home. You may consider introducing him to your other cats before that happens, but if you do just realize that he may bond to them instead of you, in which case you may never win him over. If he has been around dogs before, you can introduce him to yours any time after he has met the other cats, but if not he may need even more time to accept that a dog can be a friend rather than a foe.

Thank you so much for all the helpful information! I will put the carrier in his room today. I have tried to play with him with toys but he was not very interested but I will continue trying. Yesterday he wanted to lay on my blanket so he got very close to me and he let me pet him a few times! Even let me give him some belly rubs. :) i definitely want to keep him quarantined until he is comfortable and bonded with me before I introduce him to my other pets. He has never met a dog before so this will definitely be a long process. I purchased Anti Icky Poo and it will arrive today so I am going to clean the room with that. I did notice yesterday when I was petting him that he must have laid on some pee because his fur felt weird when I pet him and when I smelled my hand it smelled like pee. Since I am unable to give him a bath or wipe him down what can I do about this to get him clean? I really appreciate your help! Thank you so much!

Attachments

• IMG_7318.JPG
    IMG_7318.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7323.JPG
    IMG_7323.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 27

Abby

Savannah Child
You're welcome. We're here to help. Keep us posted on his progress. I have 4 of these spotted demons and I always recommend keeping large bottles of Advil and vodka on hand :LOL:

Yesterday he got pretty close to me and I was able to pet him a few times aaaaand he let me give him a few belly rubs!! Needless to say I was super excited and happy lol

Attachments

• IMG_7318.JPG
    IMG_7318.JPG
    252.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7323.JPG
    IMG_7323.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 18

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
The litter box is right next to the bed. It's one with a cover but I took the cover off assuming he didn't like it since he was peeing on the floor. I just bought the same litter the previous owner used. Last night I was in the room with Aldo and one of my other cats came in front of the door and they starting putting their paws under the door and Aldo seemed like he was playing under the door but then started meowing and peed right by the door as I was watching him. Could this be because my other cat stressed him out?
My guess is that either he was overexcited by the cat's presence and just peed where he was, or it is because he is an intact male cat and was marking his territory. He's 18 months old and not neutered, hence I think that until you have him neutered it is hard to resolve the peeing issue.

Abby

Savannah Child
My guess is that either he was overexcited by the cat's presence and just peed where he was, or it is because he is an intact male cat and was marking his territory. He's 18 months old and not neutered, hence I think that until you have him neutered it is hard to resolve the peeing issue.

Thank you!

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Even though he is not vertically spraying like most intact cats, I can't help but believe that his inappropriate urination is at least partially related to him being an unneutered male. However, you should probably make sure he is checked out for a urinary tract infection when you are able to get him to the vet, just to be thorough.

Abby

Savannah Child
Even though he is not vertically spraying like most intact cats, I can't help but believe that his inappropriate urination is at least partially related to him being an unneutered male. However, you should probably make sure he is checked out for a urinary tract infection when you are able to get him to the vet, just to be thorough.

Will do! Thank you!

Hello everyone! I am new I am new here and I am not sure if I am posting in the correct section. I couldn't figure out how to make a post. My name is Abby and I have a 18 month old male F3 Savannah cat named Aldo. My friend couldn't keep him anymore so he asked me to take him and I did. I currently have 3 other cats (Bombay - Chloe, Maine coon mix - Big Black and a Russian blue named Binxy) I also have a gentle giant German Shepherd who is 9 years old named Rex. So I have had Aldo for a week now and have him in his own room with his own litter box and food and all that good stuff. Aldo is not neutered and I plan to have him neutered as soon as possible. He does not let me touch him at all, as soon as I enter the room he runs under the bed. He will come out once in a while when I am in the room and will lay on the foot of the bed as soon as I try to pet him he will run away. He also has been peeing on the floor and not in his litter box. I am assuming this is him marking his territory? I bought calming spray to spray the bed in the room and I also bought the feliway diffuser for marking and it hasn't helped. The other day I bought this litter that is supposed to attract him to the litter box and it worked but he is also still peeing on the floor! I don't know what to do. :( Will this always be a problem? Will he ever trust me and love me? What can I do to help with gaining his trust? I have been in the room reading my book out loud so he can get used to my voice. I am just really concerned about him peeing everywhere. My friend said that he hasn't done that at his house and he comes from a multi cat home. My friend had 5 cats. Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Hi, I just joined the chat recently. My male F3 is 13 months old, and some things were unexpected. He bonded almost immediately with my 22 year old adult daughter. I'm kind of second, but no where near the attention and such that he shows her. He was neutered at about 6 months. At about 11-12 months, puberty hit, and he changed to really really shy to people, and very sensitive. That being said, his bond with the previous owner will change to you slowly, very slowly, and with patience. He has had major trauma, and if he is anything like my F3 male, he is not a lap cat anyway, he just kind of tolerates attention. Be patient. You care enough to ask, he will come around some time. I stress the litter box thing too.

Abby

Savannah Child
Hi, I just joined the chat recently. My male F3 is 13 months old, and some things were unexpected. He bonded almost immediately with my 22 year old adult daughter. I'm kind of second, but no where near the attention and such that he shows her. He was neutered at about 6 months. At about 11-12 months, puberty hit, and he changed to really really shy to people, and very sensitive. That being said, his bond with the previous owner will change to you slowly, very slowly, and with patience. He has had major trauma, and if he is anything like my F3 male, he is not a lap cat anyway, he just kind of tolerates attention. Be patient. You care enough to ask, he will come around some time. I stress the litter box thing too.

Thank you!