Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Adult Biting

Kelly Struble

Savannah Child
Hello All!

I know kitten biting has been discussed on this forum before but was wondering what everyone's experience was with adult biting?

I have an F3 male that is almost 3 that has just started biting in the last few months. This was never a problem as a kitten and is a new issue. He has always 'played' aggressively with our other cat, but has never harmed us or drawn blood- until a few months ago.

He is a sweet cat but the biting seems to come out of nowhere. Usually he will lunge and attack my legs. About 4 times now, he has done it hard enough to drawl blood. This problem is only directed at me (so far) and hasn't happened to any one else or my husband.

We have a strict 'no teeth on skin rule' and will 'yelp' if he touches his teeth to our skin. We have always discouraged biting- even as a kitten while playing.

Anyone else have experience with this?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I'm going to assume he is neutered? I have had a couple of intact females behave this way, it is usually due to redirected aggression because they're upset with another cat. Has there been any changes in your home? New pets or people? Or maybe a stray that has been hanging around outside? This behavior can potentially become dangerous so if you can't find the trigger I would recommend you contact Marilyn Krieger, the Cat Coach for insight and direction on how to handle this behavior: www.thecatcoach.com

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

dice

Site Supporter
I have an 5 year old F3 boy, that one has to keep an eye out for, when petting or scathing him. He will start to get snippety when rubbed in the wrong spot, or if I am not paying enough attention.

Usually, when I come home from work, he is the one who meets me at the door, and I give him my buddy boy treatment, pick him up and rock him like a baby, saying are you my buddy boy??? rub, rub, If I furget to give him attention, my chances of getting nipped later increases.

He's really quite the lover, and has become much more loving since he now has a little brother to play with. When he does nip me, it usually doesn't draw blood, and if paying attention, he misses me entirely, but find it's usually a result of him thinking I haven't given him enough love and attention.

One time I neglected to give him the love he deserves, Sampson Screamed really loud right into my ear. So loud I think I wet myself. He always lets me know when I haven't given him enough satisfaction, or something like that..:)

JaniceNatalie

Savannah Super Cat
Mine does it, just started...almost always the neck. He is trying to mate. The instinct is too strong. His aggression with it towards our other cat is extreme. She has been bitten so badly that she couldn't walk for a few days because of the pain, and she can scream out if you hit a sore spot (usually neck area). I'm unsure that this level is normal for the mating instinct. Cats I've had before who mated had neck bites for positioning etc but nothing like this. Today he hit my limit. Monday is neuter day. Unless someone out there is looking for a male Lynx point snow savannah stud. We could loan him out first. We wanted to have one set of kittens, but I just feel too bad for her. She is 7 months, and far too small still, and hasn't gone into heat (as far as we know ...wink wink). But I'm just not prepared to have the aggressive behaviour continue. For now, I've separated them to different levels of the home.

Janice: Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Well there is the answer, he is not neutered. I totally agree that the two cats need to be separated - teen-age pregnancies can sometimes work out okay, but there are so many potential complications during delivery and the actual raising of kittens that I would try to avoid it if at all possible.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Mine does it, just started...almost always the neck. He is trying to mate. The instinct is too strong. His aggression with it towards our other cat is extreme. She has been bitten so badly that she couldn't walk for a few days because of the pain, and she can scream out if you hit a sore spot (usually neck area). I'm unsure that this level is normal for the mating instinct. Cats I've had before who mated had neck bites for positioning etc but nothing like this. Today he hit my limit. Monday is neuter day. Unless someone out there is looking for a male Lynx point snow savannah stud. We could loan him out first. We wanted to have one set of kittens, but I just feel too bad for her. She is 7 months, and far too small still, and hasn't gone into heat (as far as we know ...wink wink). But I'm just not prepared to have the aggressive behaviour continue. For now, I've separated them to different levels of the home.

Janice: Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OMG... your female couldn't walk for days? Did you take her to the vet? I have NEVER had that happen with a breeding cat before so it is NOT normal nor acceptable.

Please get him neutered!

dice

Site Supporter
Neutering will definitely curb the tendencies, but established traits may persist for years. He may still nip from time to time, but it will be with much less force, and likely not break the skin often.

Trish Allearz

I'm not sure the OP answered that he wasn't neutered? That was the lady with the nasty stud male hurting the queen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk