Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Advice needed about my Savannah purchase!

Fran Kunkle

Savannah Child
Hi I am purchasing my second Savannah, my baby just died of CHF. Would you be concerned buying a 5 month old F3 male who will be neutered this week.
(is this a little late? I am worried about him spraying more if he has been neutered later? )

He has been caged outdoors in very nice cages I must say, and was transitioned off a raw diet . The breeder isnt sure if he will eat raw again. She doesn't believe in 100% raw diets,
What if he will not take raw anymore?

Your thoughts about purchasing an older kitten, who is not living inside a home with other family members? She says that they are given plenty of attention, they play and socialize with them daily.

This is very reputable breeder Savanahcatbreed.com, well know here at cat chat! Lots of buyers love Holly, etc.
He was passed up by buyers because his coat had such large black spots, that he appeared almost one color, but as he has grown his golden back coat shows and he is now stunning. I asked Holly for an affectionate, loving cat and she said "he is a monster of affection, which I love", she also said that she would not let me wait another month because she knows he needs to move on into a home asap, which I totally understand. She suggested I consider another cat if we were not ready now. So I know she is being honest about this cat.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Hi I am purchasing my second Savannah, my baby just died of CHF. Would you be concerned buying a 5 month old F3 male who will be neutered this week.
(is this a little late? I am worried about him spraying more if he has been neutered later? )

He has been caged outdoors in very nice cages I must say, and was transitioned off a raw diet . The breeder isnt sure if he will eat raw again. She doesn't believe in 100% raw diets,
What if he will not take raw anymore?

Your thoughts about purchasing an older kitten, who is not living inside a home with other family members? She says that they are given plenty of attention, they play and socialize with them daily.

This is very reputable breeder Savanahcatbreed.com, well know here at cat chat! Lots of buyers love Holly, etc.
He was passed up by buyers because his coat had such large black spots, that he appeared almost one color, but as he has grown his golden back coat shows and he is now stunning. I asked Holly for an affectionate, loving cat and she said "he is a monster of affection, which I love", she also said that she would not let me wait another month because she knows he needs to move on into a home asap, which I totally understand. She suggested I consider another cat if we were not ready now. So I know she is being honest about this cat.

Hi Fran,

Welcome and Im sorry to hear about your baby :-(

I would not worry about purchasing a 5 month old kitten at all - I do not consider that to be an older kitten at all...I cannot speak about Select Exotics because I have no first hand experience with them. As for being caged outdoors...I personally am not in favor of any of this, but I know it is done, especially by the larger breeders...and I am sure some of the other members here will chime in about their kittens from SE...

What are your worries about this kitten? I think Holly knows her kittens pretty well and I highly doubt she would lie about temperament...I guess anything is possible, but I doubt it.

If you would like to post pictures, that would be great!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I agree with Paige, I don't think 5 months too old at all, although in terms of living out in a cage all that time I can't really give an opinion on as mine are all raised in my home. I have homed kittens at 6 months of age that transitioned easier and more confidently than others at 3 months of age....but that is 6 months of living in a home with humans.

As some other members do have cats from SE maybe they can say what ages they got their kittens to compare. I think if Holly says the kitten is loving then she is not known to lie about that.

Fran Kunkle

Savannah Child
Yes I agree, I am just concerned about the cat may insist on eating an all dry diet as she has told me. I mentioned about kidney issues but she said they would just drink more water. I do trust that she is being honest. But how do others feel about this kitten eating an all dry diet?

Fran Kunkle

Savannah Child
Thank you for the kind words, losing Dexter was so heart breaking. I thought I would have him for many many years, I can't explain the pain I felt when the cardiologist said he would only live 6-12 months, and then he only lived 2 months. He gave me more happiness than I could ever dream of.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Yes I agree, I am just concerned about the cat may insist on eating an all dry diet as she has told me. I mentioned about kidney issues but she said they would just drink more water. I do trust that she is being honest. But how do others feel about this kitten eating an all dry diet?
If the kitten has had raw before, I cannot see why it wouldn't be able to be weaned back onto an all-raw diet again. But even if no raw up until 5 months, that is so young I would have no doubt that he could be introduced pretty easily. There are many methods on the internet on how to wean onto a raw diet from kibble etc...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I agree with the others as far as the age of the kitten. I have rehomed older kittens and adults without a problem. As long as the kitten hasn't started spraying he should not start once he has been neutered. As for being raised in a cage outside, my kittens are also raised in my home under foot so I have no practical experience with this, but as long as the kitten is spending daily time with humans he should be fine.

As for the diet - if you are set on feeding him raw, then I would work on slowly re-introducing it to him only after he has settled in and adjusted to his new home - wait for at least two weeks. In the meantime, continue to feed him what he is used to - a diet change is just another stressor to add to the stress of moving to a new home and adjusting to a new family. I would guess the vast majority of breeders do not raise their kittens on a strictly raw diet, and I'm sure his health is not suffering from eating kibble, unless it's a cheap store brand that is primarily grain.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I asked Holly for an affectionate, loving cat and she said "he is a monster of affection, which I love", she also said that she would not let me wait another month because she knows he needs to move on into a home asap, which I totally understand.
If Holly told you he is a monster of affection, then this cat probably won't leave you alone! She was spot on when I asked for personality. Rascal (see avatar) has a great personality. We asked for a full brother a year later. Mayhem is even more affectionate, and lively. I have 3 savannahs from SE.

NikkiA

Site Supporter
We brought our F5 boy, diablo, home at four months. I would like to think he was in a house, but is highly unlikely. I think it is wishful thinking on my part given what I know now. Our boy came from Martin and Kathrin Stuki, and he is a total love, but i doubt he was anywhere other than outside in a cage. He only ate dry and a supreme wet food. We have had no problem transitioning to other wet and dry foods.

Trish Allearz

Frankly-- if you have second thoughts, pass on this kitten and get the right one for you. I've never heard of anyone raising kittens outdoors in cages-- really. I am stumped there. Of course he's affectionate-- he's starved for attention. I really don't get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk