Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Am I seeing things??

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
I know that's right! My breeder told me that the more raw meat Triton eats, the more he'll grow. She wasn't kidding! :)

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
Hi

I am a new savannha mommy too
I am learning a lot .

More meet and later neutering is what my breeder recommended to optimize the growth curve. Sound that is accurate .

Any other experience out there?

:)

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Welcome, Michaela! :) We neutered Triton at 7 months of age. Wanted to catch him before he began spraying. It has been a couple of weeks since his last weigh-in, which was 11 pounds at 10 months of age. I've heard that Savannahs mainly gain length and height before packing on the pounds. He's still got plenty of growing time. Do you have a male or female, and what generation is your SV? Looking forward to some photos of your furbie! :)

ginamarie1221

Savannah Super Cat
That's a good question, Michaela!

Does neutering earlier rather than later affect the outcome of adult size? Does raw diet contribute to their rate/size of growth?

Michaela

Savannah Super Cat
My baby is Male F2B
Romeo :)

I have a Bengal boy play Nate for him also

Did not introduce them yet
I was told to neuter between 5 to 8 mo
before 9 mo , so they don't spray.
Might consider 3rd cat
Looking at savannha Bengal and jag Mohave cat?
What is the input on jag cats?
Some look like overpriced bengals ?
:) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375467457.269353.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375467619.369630.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
That's a good question, Michaela!

Does neutering earlier rather than later affect the outcome of adult size? Does raw diet contribute to their rate/size of growth?

I've found that my kittens grow better on a raw diet... I don't think it guarantees sisze as much as maximize the growth possible.

Studies tend to show early neutering results in more growth, in males the production of the male hormones closes the growth plates. Some breeders hence advocate late neutering with the idea that this results in stronger bones...as they worry that leaving the growth plates open longer in the case of early neutering might lead to longer weaker bones. I don't think there are any studies showing bone weakness with early neutering though...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Might consider 3rd cat
Looking at savannha Bengal and jag Mohave cat?
What is the input on jag cats?
Some look like overpriced bengals ?
:)

I didn't really know too much about Mokave Jag cats, so went and found a website... http://www.mokavecats.com/index.html#Exotic

I think it begs the question of when can you call a mixed heritage cat a "breed"? When you are using any and all wild-origin hybrid cat breeds, as well as possibly Pixiebobs (I saw polydactyl paws) and Highlander then I'm not sure how defined a look this is. Most do indeed look like Bengal mixes...