Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Anyone familiar with "friends of animals"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I was doing some research on vets that are nearby. I had found out that all creatures (an exotic vet whom I have gone to for my buns) and another local vet both do their spay and neuter through a certificate program with friends of animals. It is a non profit organization that helps fund the cost of spay and neuter. when they both had spoken to me said for spay and neuter to go to the website and purchase a certificate for neuter (51$) it says covers cost of anesthetic pain meds pre surgery consult etc. only thing not included is bloodwork if necessary, or special situations such a non descended testicles etc. and the agreement doesn't require a certain income limit everyone is eligible as long as you sign the contract stating you will not declaw your animal. which I would never do( I saw how horrible it can be to a poor kitten. Never Would I be so selfish) . My question is if anyone has experience with them? I also spoke to a number of other vets. Which sort of rubbed me the wrong way. And then a holistic vet who also does regular medicine as well. Two separate vets in one clinic. and a cat only clinic. Both of them seemed very nice and knowledgeable I got a good vibe from both. But I also got a good vibe from one of the two vets which partner with friends of animals. Im stuck on the decision. has anyone had a neuter of a cat through the friends of animals program? from what I hear its all the resident vets from participating clinics. but both of those clinics have very good reviews

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
For initial vet visit I plan on going to the holistic vet. They can do a free physical. Or a free holistic consult with purchase of physical. Considering I was ready to shell out 50 for exam and 60$ for holistic consult that's a pretty awesome deal. instead of making two separate trips I could knock it all out in one. The one vet there handles both holistic medicine and regular vet work. The other handles strictly holistic health. So I would be getting both opinions. Which would be fantastic =] but for neuter I'm not sure what to do. I plan on vaccinating there as well 20-25$ per vacine. I will be doing rabies and I am debating felv down the road which they could help me make the decision since they don't like the whole over vaccinate mindset a lot of vets have.

admin

Paige
Staff member
There is nothing wrong with a certificate from FOA...I have used it at my regular vet with no issues...

As for Feline leukemia - not sure why you would do it...

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
is it really rare? Idk why it was brought up before. And why I would need to anymore. I have no other cats but there are tons of outdoor cats nearby. My neighbor hoards cats, and is a hoarder. he's a little crazy and goodness forbid my cat snuck outside I would be scared if anything happened. I think that's why I kept seeing it brought up. I've had information overload the past few days lol. help me out?

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Okay so foa is trustworthy they aren't just trying to be a production line going through as many spay and neuters as they can with no care? That's what I was worried about I want my cat to have the best care possible. But paying more doesnt always mean better service neither does paying less.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I never asked: How far away are you from the breeder? Could you use their vet or get recommendations....assuming of course that you are near by.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
They are in California I am in ny state lol.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I definatley would have if I could though

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think if you are planning to take you cat outside, especially if there are a lot of outdoor cats roaming the area, I would get an FeLV vaccine. Just don't get them all at once. I would do FVRCP separate from rabies, and FeLV at a separate time as well. Many vets will give them all at the same time, but I find the more vaccines given the harder it is on the poor little kitty.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Oh I will definately break them up 3 weeks at a time priority #1 get baby here #2 quarantine after 1 week get him second round of fvrcp (modified live), (all the talk I saw about adjuvants were scary) 3 weeks later neuter 3 weeks later rabies and maybe after that felv idk if I want to or not. If he makes it to 1 year isn't he perfectly fine? So then it's just 8 months of being very very careful that he doesn't get out. He better not learn how to open doors like I've heard some do lol.