1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Anything I should know?

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Questions? Need Savannah Cat Advice?' started by Charley, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Charley

Charley Savannah Super Cat

Jengo is on his way to get neutered. I have never been through this process before, is there anything I should know for when he gets home? Any special care he needs after the surgery? *It's going to be hard to be away from him all day*

2. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Usually just to keep him quiet, but no special surgical care I am aware of. Your vet should be able to tell you what Jengo's needs will be post-surgery. Good luck!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jacq

Jacq Savannah Super Cat

All my boys pretty much slept all day afterward, and then biz as usual the next day.

4. Kronos

Kronos Guest

He will come home like nothing happened :D I believe you just cannot let them lick the area excessively, and do not get the area wet for 7 days. Otherwise, good luck trying to keep him calm hehe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trish Allearz

Trish Allearz Moderator

Yeah, try to keep him quiet, but realize it is easier said then done!

6. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

Unless the neuter is more comettplicated (eg undescended testicle) it is relatively minor...the sedation may mean he's quieter and sleepy when you bring him home and of course you shouldn't encourage him to leap about...but he should recover pretty swiftly :)

Hard not to worry though, I always do...

• Like Like x 2
  7. Charley

LOL! It's going to be hard to keep him from licking the area as that seems to be one of his favorite things to do. It's got to be the cleanest part on him!

It's so hard not to worry but I should be hearing from the vet in a couple of hours :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wyldthingz

Wyldthingz Savannah Super Cat

I am glad to hear that you have not been though this process before!? LOL

• Like Like x 2
  9. Charley

LOL! I really could have worded that differently!

Jengo is home and he's fine. A little miffed at us but he's coming around. He's sniffing around the house to make sure it's still his. He was STARVING! I hope gets a little cuddlier soon - although I might not want to cuddle with the person who cost me my "manhood" either.

How do I get him to STOP licking that area? I try to reposition him but all he does is is yell and go back to what he was doing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

That is definitely going to be hard to do...maybe you can get him a soft collar for a few days?

• Like Like x 1