1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Are Breeders Just in it for the Money?

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat - General Discussion' started by admin, Sep 17, 2012.

1. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Many of us have heard how savannah cat breeders just raise savannah cats for the money!! Uh, I don't think so...Veterinary expenses, food expenses, litter expenses and massive amounts of time socializing properly = no money made in most cases and in some, loss of money.

But having now had my own litter of kittens, I would not trade it for the world, despite some of the hardships we had...just to watch the kittens grow from helpless little beings to interactive, wonderful, loving little souls who play hard and sleep hard and eat/poop/pee in between, is priceless.

Do you all think breeders are in it for the money?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Trish Allearz

Trish Allearz Moderator

YES! I'm rolling in it here- see me, see me??? Rolling in money!!!

Or is that cat crap and vet bills?

Shoot. I knew I was doing it wrong.

• Like Like x 11
  3. shelby

shelby Guest

I will give you the answer in one sentence;>) The breeders that are still breeding after the first two years ,,,NO;>)

• Like Like x 8
  4. Lori Greer

Lori Greer Cahaba Cats

LOL, for most of us, we have to work traditional jobs to pay the bills or have supportive partners who indulge our passion.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Donna

Donna Savannah Kitten

besides the costs of vets, food, and your time, if you show then you have the costs of the shows, using your time from work to take your kittys to the vet or be there to help deliver kittens, etc.

• Like Like x 6
  6. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I agree, Donna! I dont think I fully understood what was involved until I had my first litter of kittens...

7. shelby

shelby Guest

We have to work to support our habit;>) (the savannahs) LOL

• Like Like x 3
  8. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

Very good point, Shelby, there ARE a number of new breeders that have started in this HOBBY to make a profit...and usually they don't last the distance. I know that our accountant would like us to cut even JUST ONE YEAR! If I were a businesswoman I would have quit years ago.

So saying that, there are a few breeders that manage to survive on the profits of their cattery...very few and likely very specific setups are required. Keeping a small number as house pets that happen to have babies occasionally is not profitable....but a joy when all goes well!

• Like Like x 6
  9. shelby

shelby Guest

I have to agree. When all goes well....life is good. The problem is...we can never trust that this will be the case. I take nothing for granted and always in the back of my mind are the what ifs;>( What is profit;>) LOL

• Like Like x 4
  10. Pam Flachs

Pam Flachs Savannah Super Cat

I agree with all of the above!

• Like Like x 2