Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

at my breaking point!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I don't see why not....... but...
That being said, there are issues that cloud this therapeutic approach.
Transdermal absorption of drugs is almost always sketchy (topical steroids like hydrocortisone, and DMSO are exceptions). Skin by nature is a very effective barrier. The commercial transdermal drug products used on humans are designed to "drive" the drug through the skin using technology of permeable, semi-permeable, and impermeable membranes on intact dry clean skin.
What would be used most commonly in this case is a gel preparation. The problem becomes; 1) how much of the active medication will actually penetrate the skin, and 2) how to accurately measure the dose to be applied. These two issues would make the response and titration of effective dose problematic. And anytime you apply a gel formulation you need to wear latex gloves, so the you don't absorb some of the drug.
Another option, fluoxetine is also available in an oral solution.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
We "retrained" our male Siamese by using a large wire crate set up with food,water, litter, & a hammock; we had done 3 weeks quarantine IN OUR BEDROOM WITH US with no problems but when he "came out" we realized he was marking the whole house...vet suggested the "area" was too big for Prince to feel secure...he had to be in a room with us or in the crate; We just kept him out for longer & longer periods finally allowing him to be in the next room then short periods of free run, every time we caught him trying to mark he went back in the crate. It seemed to take forever but he did finally catch on "marking" = crating...IT TOOK MONTHS....he was a "3rd home" cat & lived happily with us for years...It is possible.

admin

Paige
Staff member
We "retrained" our male Siamese by using a large wire crate set up with food,water, litter, & a hammock; we had done 3 weeks quarantine IN OUR BEDROOM WITH US with no problems but when he "came out" we realized he was marking the whole house...vet suggested the "area" was too big for Prince to feel secure...he had to be in a room with us or in the crate; We just kept him out for longer & longer periods finally allowing him to be in the next room then short periods of free run, every time we caught him trying to mark he went back in the crate. It seemed to take forever but he did finally catch on "marking" = crating...IT TOOK MONTHS....he was a "3rd home" cat & lived happily with us for years...It is possible.

Great advice, @Eddies !

admin

Paige
Staff member
I don't see why not....... but...
That being said, there are issues that cloud this therapeutic approach.
Transdermal absorption of drugs is almost always sketchy (topical steroids like hydrocortisone, and DMSO are exceptions). Skin by nature is a very effective barrier. The commercial transdermal drug products used on humans are designed to "drive" the drug through the skin using technology of permeable, semi-permeable, and impermeable membranes on intact dry clean skin.
What would be used most commonly in this case is a gel preparation. The problem becomes; 1) how much of the active medication will actually penetrate the skin, and 2) how to accurately measure the dose to be applied. These two issues would make the response and titration of effective dose problematic. And anytime you apply a gel formulation you need to wear latex gloves, so the you don't absorb some of the drug.
Another option, fluoxetine is also available in an oral solution.

I remember giving my boy, Rocky, transdermal thyroid meds - worked well...I do understand what you mean though...I doubt an oral med would go over well unless it was chicken flavored or something like that...I just think in a cat that cannot be pilled, maybe transdermal may be the answer...

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I remember giving my boy, Rocky, transdermal thyroid meds - worked well...I do understand what you mean though...I doubt an oral med would go over well unless it was chicken flavored or something like that...I just think in a cat that cannot be pilled, maybe transdermal may be the answer...
I, too, used the methimazole gel to treat a hyperthyroid with success. Additionally the dispenser had notches that clicked. This helped us give a consistent measured dose. And I think that might work just as well with fluoxetine, but it may take a lot more time to discover the optimal / effective dose.

Last edited:

Chestercat7

Savannah Super Cat
WA LA! over the weekend I actually have narrowed it down to him just being very picky. I have been paying a lot of attention to his body language/meowing habits and patterns. if there is ANYTHING in his litterbox, he will sit at the top of the basement steps and meow. I'll head for the basement and he will race me down there, and literally go to his box and walk around it....I'll clean whatever is in there and he will immediately get in and pee. the last time he peed outside the box I immediatley went downstairs and found it had poop in it. I have always kept it clean but it's now down to checking it every couple hours....OMG what a picky poo!!!! haha. HAve any of you had a picky cat like this?? I guess we will see if this truly is the issue. only time will tell!! we now lock him in the basement with his box, food and water while we are away from the house to thwart any chance of him peeing while we are gone also.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
WA LA! over the weekend I actually have narrowed it down to him just being very picky. I have been paying a lot of attention to his body language/meowing habits and patterns. if there is ANYTHING in his litterbox, he will sit at the top of the basement steps and meow.

Can't remember if you mentioned how many litter boxes you have but you're speaking in the singular here. One box is insufficient for most cats and definitely so for a picky one. You should add another box if you don't already have two. Maybe put one upstairs. I have 4 cats, 5 boxes, and they will not poo in the box they pee in.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
It's very possible that he is just very fussy about his litterbox - he definitely wouldn't be the first cat. Having at least two litterboxes available (more is better) may help improve the situation. You might also want to consider purchasing a self-cleaning unit such as the Litter Robot (who is one of our forum sponsors): http://www.litter-robot.com/litter-robot.aspx?id=13