1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Baby gate ineffectiveness.

Discussion in 'Non-Savannah Photos and Videos' started by Nitro, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Nitro

Nitro and his servant, Paul

I got a pair of 36" baby gates to allow smells and looks to go around while I am unable to monitor the interaction between my Bengals and my new Savannah kitten.

Apparently it's not quite as bulletproof as I thought. Here's my male Bengal, six feet in the air, after having decided that he doesn't want to interact with the Savannah kitty any more.

http://imgur.com/mKS33

• Like Like x 5
  2. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

LOL! I am not surprised!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Pam Flachs

Pam Flachs Savannah Super Cat

Hmm....well, that's not gonna work! lol

How about trying a screen door? Home Depot has some wooden ones for around $20 in different sizes...you would have to reinforce it with pet proof screen or plastic mesh fencing...easy enough to staple onto one side. You might not even have to remove the existing door.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kronos

Kronos Guest

5. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Great idea, Pam!

6. Marissa

Marissa Savannah Super Cat

Mine ALL think baby gates are just a joke, they just see it as a place to have fun. Lol

7. Nitro

Nitro and his servant, Paul

Haha, well this particular Bengal thinks they're loads of fun. He even climbed over the top (which is 5'4", not 6' - whoops) this morning to remind me that he was hungry.

Since I'm in a rental, I don't think it's a good idea to affix something like a screen door, but I had no idea that screen doors were so cheap! Lol, I spent more than that on each 32" gate. My parent's place desperately needs a new screen door; perhaps I should just get one for them the next time I visit.

As for the gates, I think the relations are at least good enough now that I only need to worry about the Bengals declaring eminent domain on my SV's food dish and litter box.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

Maybe you can attach something to the top of that upper baby gate so the BG cannot jump up there and perch like that? I would have expected mine to do exactly what your kitty did...

I use baby gates here, but the clear plastic ones... and not to keep cats in or out. I used them on doors of rooms I might be keeping kittens in to SLOW their dash out the door when it is opened. That way I can just push them back as I am scaling the baby gate into the room. The clear plastic ones are harder for the babies to scale too...they just slip back down until they are old enough to jump straight to the top!

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Years-Everywhere-Security/dp/B002HQKM1M is like the one I have, the one I have is permanently fixed but I couldn't find it on the internet...maybe they don't make it anymore...

• Like Like x 3
  9. WitchyWoman

WitchyWoman Admin Staff Member

Ah yes, I remember back before I had my husband fully trained that he had the notion the cats shouldn't sleep with us:rolleyes: Knowing the outcome, I bought two baby gates and put them up on the bedroom door. First night, we're in bed less than 15 seconds when we hear scratching on the door and there was one of the cats wedged into the 1/2" space between the door and the gate. Training complete. Cats have slept with us ever since.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Laura W

Laura W Savannah Super Cat

My Bengal is the same way.......everything is a perch and there is no keeping out if she wants to go in.

• Like Like x 1