Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Brand/type of harness?

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
Hello all,
We'll be getting our F5 boy Zyon from Trish in 2 weeks (seems like forever) and I'm trying to plan ahead on some items. We know we want to harness/leash train him and i looked today @ Petsmart and there wasn't anything that looked safe or secure. I've been looking on Amazon too and only one looks promising (Kitty Holster Cat Harness) but I'm not sure if it's SV safe. I have seen the leash training post but don't really see any specific brand suggestions for a safe harness? I checked out the site sponsor's page but none of those harnesses have a "male" design and are mostly girly. Any suggestions? I don't need it any time soon but definitely once he's settled here fully want to get started on acclimating him! If no brand suggestions what about what type of securing fasteners - are they all velcro?
Thanks, Karen

Hina

Site Supporter
We used a medium sized ferret harness when we got Sasha home. It was secure, had Velcro and adjustable clips to fasten. It comes with a leash.

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
Great ideas thanks! I think I might just order a couple different ones and then do trial and error (eventually)!

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have used the puppy one harness...since it adjusts neck and girth, I really was able to make it fit!

Trish Allearz

I really really prefer the custom made harnesses for kitties. I don't feel like the ones you can buy at a store are often secure enough if you are going to take them out and about. I will say-- I have used them, but only with a pet stroller (so they are already in the stroller and then attached to the lead to the harness.)

karenlynn79

Site Supporter
I agree after looking around. I think I'll go with the walking jacket from Kasbah once we get our little guy, which seriously seems like way too long away! Trying to plot how to get him earlier knowing I can't.....! Thanks for the ideas. I like the Mynwood too!