Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Breeder interaction with Buyers

A

americansafaricattery

Give it a shot. It never hurts to try. Just try to direct the answer..;) If it is that important to you then make sure that is know to the breeder. They should see that and make some time for you. Maybe front load the breeder with the questions you are going to ask. This may relax the breeder.

Maybe just maybe the breeder does not have the time? Who knows. If not maybe write the questions you want to ask and only send them a few at a time. Keep them short direct and never open ended.. Wait for a response for the questions before sending more. This should help with repetition and confusion.

Good Luck!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I have 3 SVs from 3 different breeders. Each one scrutinized me thoroughly before letting me have a kitten. I filled out lengthy questionnaires, had to provide references, and I met each breeder. One is a few hours north of me so I got to spend quite a bit of time with her, getting to know each other and her cats. The other 2 are in So. Cal and insisted I pick up the kittens in person. I have no doubt that I would have come home empty handed had they sensed or had they seen something about me they didn't like.

We communicated several times by phone because they wanted to get a "feel" for me as a person and I was happy to oblige. We did have to make arrangements well in advance for the phone calls. Hobby breeders often have paying jobs & families on top of taking care of their cattery. Emails were always answered, sometimes quite late at night. And, yep, I too had to ask several questions repeatedly before I got answers. I understood that completely after I visited the cattery north of me. Aiyeeee, what a load of work caring for the cats & kittens and having to answer multiple inquiries from potential buyers -- enough to drive anyone bonkers. You'll understand the bonkers thing once your kitten arrives. If one can make you crazy, imagine 10 or more. LOL.

Make sure you are completely comfortable with the breeder and that s/he will be responsive to your questions after you receive the kitten. Yes, the kitten should have the 2nd series of vaccinations prior to shipping. I believe it's a requirement for the health certificate necessary to ship but it's also necessary for the health of the kitten.

Robo1

Savannah Super Cat
Thanks....very helpful and understaning information.....I sent her an email tonight regarding speaking again on the phone...will let you know how it works out...thanks again everyone...very nice group :)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think the suggestion of keeping questions to a few each email may improve the response of getting them all answered...some might get missed otherwise!

I do think that if you request a phone call and have put a deposit down, then the breeder should make time. I have a very busy schedule but if it were important to a buyer I'd make time. I do prefer most interactions via email for the reasons previously stated about having things in writing so there is no confusion. I have found many times that in a spoken conversation what each side hears can be different. So even after a phone call it can be good to send a followup email reiterating anything that was said!

I definitely think updated pics are essential! I feel terrible if a week goes by and I don't get new pics to a buyer!

Patty

Breeding Savannahs for the Home
I also prefer doing business via email. I find I can't remember things as well as I used to :). I will however speak via the phone if the customer wants to. I don't have a questionaire that I have them fill out, but I do ask questions of them and think I get a good feel for people that way. I don't send pics every week, but at least every 2 weeks, I do answer emails every day.

Robo1

Savannah Super Cat
I got some updated pics today...in the fuzzy stage, 7 weeks old....Thanks for all your feedback ...I'm sure she is just slammed with the day to day of taking care of all the cats...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I also communicate via email, but I still believe one cannot get the feel for a person either way via email...and obviously I am a big technology nut! However, that is just my opinion. And it doesn't mean I do not conduct business via email, I do...but I will not take a deposit without speaking to someone...just me and my choice...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I got some updated pics today...in the fuzzy stage, 7 weeks old....Thanks for all your feedback ...I'm sure she is just slammed with the day to day of taking care of all the cats...

I am extremely busy, but make time for my kitten buyers...again, that is just me...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm with you, Paige, no matter how busy... one can make five minutes to call someone. You can tell them upfront that you really have to run but wanted to call and touch base. It IS hard, sometimes I avoid phone calls because I am so slammed...but there are situations where you just have to make the time. And I think if one of my kitten's new owners needs a phone call, then that is one of the situations!