Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Breeder-Owner Communication Lines

Trish Allearz

Hi Everyone,

So this is a theme I've seen repeatedly on here and it has to do with breeder-owner communication lines. What is right? What is acceptable? What isn't?

First- there is no set rules as to what is acceptable for breeder-owner communication, but I believe as a POTENTIAL owner- you may want to decide for yourself what type of relationship you want with your breeder. Do you want to buy a kitten and never speak to the breeder again? (I'd suggest not, but we'll get to that in a moment). Do you want a breeder who is there for you 24-7? Do you want a breeder that is there for you at their convenience, which may mean long waits in regard to replies to questions/concerns as well as emergencies? What do you WANT/EXPECT as an owner who potentially is investing thousands (and sometimes thousands more) dollars into a kitten?

Also, what line of communication do you want as the kitten grows? Do you want to put down a deposit, walk away and then return when the kitten is old enough to come home (ie picking up your kitten without any reports of his growth/development along the way)? Or do you want videos/pictures/updates of the kitten as he grows until he can go home? Including health information?

A lot of you seem to think you are asking TOO MUCH if you want a breeder who is invested not only in their kittens, but also in YOU and your experiences with your kitten and I am telling you- that's NOT the case. Buying a kitten should not be the same as purchasing a car- if you want pictures/videos/updates, ask! Now, be polite and realize- life does happen and you cannot expect a breeder to be available 24-7 for sending you pictures, but if two or three weeks have passed and you have NO information about your new baby, inquire! No shame in doing so! And chances are, your breeder will be happy to send you updated photos and information.

Let's discuss health issues with your breeder. First, don't be ashamed to talk to your breeder if anything comes up when your kitten comes home. Second- but maybe this should be first, please expect your breeder to discuss potential health issues that may arise BEFORE the kitten goes home.

For example- one of my babies who went home recently had a minor heart murmur when he went in for his neuter surgery. It upset me greatly, even though I have experience with animals having heart murmurs as youths and outgrowing them. Now, I could have simply not talked to his Dad about this situation because chances are- the kitten would outgrow it rapidly, but did I keep the info to myself? NO. I immediately got into contact with the kitten's owner and relayed the information. Together, we discussed the situation, set a plan in place, and moved forward. And you know what? First 72 hour exam- the heart murmur was gone. BUT the owner had every right to that information just as a new parent would have every right to know about a health issue with their newborn child.

Now- here's the kicker. If you want a relationship with your breeder, you need to watch the lines of communication BEFORE you put down a deposit. If all that ever comes out of your breeder's mouth is, "This is a really cute kitten- I expect he will sell fast. Would you like to send me a deposit?"- you may want to walk away or at least watch to see if this personality continues. If it does- this is just someone who wants your money. Pay attention to whether the breeder asks YOU questions about your home and your knowledge on the breed- this will tell you more about your future relationship with your breeder as well.

And please, even if you don't want to be an owner who chats with your breeder every single day- don't be taken aback by breeders who are more than wiling to educate, explain and pass on information. Nine times out of ten, it is the owner who sets the pace of the relationship between owner/breeder. For example- I have some owners who check in every 6 months on their own and I have some who email me monthly and I have some I talk to on a daily basis. I respect your right to care for and grow with my kittens with or without me there at your side. But you better believe- if you need me, I AM THERE.

So... Long post. Hope some of it made sense ;)

Trish Allearz

Agree, Trish...I think most of the breeders on this forum feel as you do...can't speak for any others ;)
Yep, I know all of us on here feel the same way. It just saddens me to see owners worry about asking basic questions when it comes to their breeders they are buying from. IF you are worried that basic questions are too time consuming or are going to offend, then it's probably best to seek out a different breeder IMHO.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yep, I know all of us on here feel the same way. It just saddens me to see owners worry about asking basic questions when it comes to their breeders they are buying from. IF you are worried that basic questions are too time consuming or are going to offend, then it's probably best to seek out a different breeder IMHO.

I agree - that is very sad...

qcamrse

Savannah Adult
I purchased my F4 from Aaron's Savannah's. While he readily communicated with me before the purchase, he completely ignored every one of my phone calls and emails after the purchase. Any one considering him-stay away!!! My kitten also had severe giardia and coccidia -he was a weak, diarrhea mess. It took a 5-week recovery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I have to say I am very lucky. Mine were purchased from 2 separate breeders, however both have been fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from either again. I still get responses from both very quickly, and both have been there with any issues or questions to offer advice or support.

Trish Allearz

I purchased my F4 from Aaron's Savannah's. While he readily communicated with me before the purchase, he completely ignored every one of my phone calls and emails after the purchase. Any one considering him-stay away!!! My kitten also had severe giardia and coccidia -he was a weak, diarrhea mess. It took a 5-week recovery.

That's really quite sad for any breeder to treat a buyer that way-- but so much worse for the kittens! Breeders often have great ideas, opinions, and thoughts on just about anything a cat or kitten can go through and should be there to hold your hand and talk you through any possible situation. I'm so sorry for your baby!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
As Trish says, it is very sad as the breeder should be a great source of advice and support, as Becki has experienced it seems. Sadly there are some breeders though that lose interest the moment the check clears :-(

admin

Paige
Staff member

Wow, I am so sorry...I hope your kitten is doing better...Aaron's Savannahs is a BYB