Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Brushing teeth?

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Do you brush your Savannah's teeth regularly?

I used to work as a vet tech assistant and I've seen some TERRIBLE teeth. One case was bad enough that the animal had to be put down, so I'm super paranoid about clean teeth. lol

I went to PetSmart to look for cat toothpaste & tooth brush & a guy that worked there said I had to be careful because Savannahs cant have regular cat tooth paste. ? I've never heard this before. Input?

K

Kronos

Wow I have never heard of that.... Kronos gets the toothpaste from petsmart also. And yes I *try* to brush my gang's teeth once a week. I have been out of toothpaste and haven't brushed them in about 3 weeks :oops: But I do also have a set of dental picks and will pick off the hard plaque that shows up on their teeth... actually only Solo, my 3 year old Ragdoll gets the hard stuff. So far Kronos and my pup Coco haven't needed any work with the dental picks.

K

Kronos

You guys brush their teeth? REALLY? LOL I sure hope the chicken bones are taking care of most of the cleaning. :)

Yeah thats the reaction most people have when they find out I brush my cat's teeth! But they REALLY like it... the toothpaste to them is like a treat and they just go bonkers for it. If you start slowly, they eventually let you scrub their teeth. My boys come running when they hear me open the drawer I keep the toothpaste in!

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah thats the reaction most people have when they find out I brush my cat's teeth! But they REALLY like it... the toothpaste to them is like a treat and they just go bonkers for it. If you start slowly, they eventually let you scrub their teeth. My boys come running when they hear me open the drawer I keep the toothpaste in!
We have a toothbrush (they were out of the toothpaste anyway) and Kovu LOVES to chew on it. So *hopefully* putting toothpaste on it wont be an issue for him. lol

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
My F1 Missy eats canned, raw ground rabbit and rabbit pieces...she will be 7 years old this July and just went for a vet check. Her teeth are great, so apparently the rabbit bones she does chew on do a lot of good :)

Ashley, I can't imagine there is any reason a Savannah can't have its teeth brushed like any other domestic cat. Just like other cats, it probably depends on the individual cat on whether they tolerate or even like it! I think that the guy in Petsmart prolly believes everything he reads on the internet too, LOL!