Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

cages

A

AmyAndSimba

I am thinking about purchasing a large dog crate for my savannah kitten... I know maintenance will be coming in and out of my apt so I want to make sure he has a place where he will definitely be secure and safe!

I figure getting a cage similar in size to one at a TICA show would be good so he can get used to being in one.. What size are they typically, and do they provide one for you or do you have to bring your own?

Any advice on this would be great!

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
I am thinking about purchasing a large dog crate for my savannah kitten... I know maintenance will be coming in and out of my apt so I want to make sure he has a place where he will definitely be secure and safe!

I figure getting a cage similar in size to one at a TICA show would be good so he can get used to being in one.. What size are they typically, and do they provide one for you or do you have to bring your own?

Any advice on this would be great!

At a cat show, wire cages are provided unless you bring your own. The wire show cages are usually 22" x 22" x 44", but can be a bit bigger. You are allowed (free with entry fee) one half of the show cage for each cat---so an area of around 22" x 22" x 22", or pay an extra fee for the other half (recommended), as the cages can be divided in half, or made into one bigger cage. I bring my own show cage: a Sturdi show shelter. I think it's 24" x 24" x 48", and is called a "double cage", so I pay the extra cage fee if I am bringing only one cat.

Are you thinking of showing your kitten? I would defiitely purchase your own show cage if you can, but I wouldn't use it to contain your kitten while maintanence is going on.....they are usually made of heavy duck canvas and cats have been known to escape from them. I also would worry that your kitten might associate the noise and commotion caused by maintenance with being in the cage; rather I would let your kitten become familiar with it during quieter times...leave it out, let him play and sleep in it. I do that with my own. Even now, a few days before a show, I'll get my show cage out and pop it up, and let the horde play in it ;)

Personally, I would get a large wire folding dog crate to contain your kitten. You can create a small living area by adding a hammock, small litter box, food and water dishes and toys. Be sure to acclimate your kitten to the cage before maintenance begins, and always supervise, especially if you leave the door to the cage open, so your kitten doesn't get hurt by the swinging door....or block it with a heavy object. Also...will you be home when maintenance are coming in and out of your home? I would put your kitten, in his cage, in a locked room the workers will not be going into, and probably best if you don't mention he is there....or put a padlock on the cage. If the cage is big enough, no one will be able to just pick it up (with your kitten) and carry it out as it may not fit through the door way....an idea to consider when deciding on a size. The wire dog cages fold down for storage, though the larger sizes (one I have is 36" x 36" x 48") are quite heavy. You might also consider a large plastic dog crate, if you have the room to store it.

Here's a few links:

http://www.sturdiproducts.com/

http://www.petstreetmall.com/Dog_Cages.htm

http://www.concentric.net/~vanadis/cages.htm (this shows what the cat show cages look like and dimensions, and the required curtains needed)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
Amy, if Simba is an F3, unfortunately you will not be able show him :( As of May 1st, only SBT Savannahs (F4 SBT, F5 SBT, and so forth) can be shown in Championship classes, competing against all other breeds. Prior to May 1st, if he is an F3C , he would have competed in the ANB (Advanced New Breed) classes. You would not even be able to show him in the Household Pet division (HHP), as those Savannahs must be at least an F4...sorry!

A

AmyAndSimba

oh no! that's no fun. well, im glad that sbt an now be shown at Champion level, (they couldn't before could they). I guess an SBT will have to be my next kitty :)

Pam Flachs

Savannah Super Cat
oh no! that's no fun. well, im glad that sbt an now be shown at Champion level, (they couldn't before could they). I guess an SBT will have to be my next kitty :)

Yes, it is exciting to finally have our Savannahs compete against everyone! I cannot wait until our first show...not until August when I will have one ready to show, and one that a kitten customer will be showing :)

Honestly, from your avatar, I thought Simba was an F2, but I thought I had read he was an F3, so found an old post that verified that....he's a beautiful boy!