Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cat lover pondering a SV!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Completely agreed with Paige! It is the individual cat and yes, if they were properly socialized to boot...both factors will come into play. I have an F1 that is obsessive about me, anytime she sees me she HAS to rub against my legs, if I speak to her her tail fluffs immediately. Yesterday, I kinda experimented and when I came into the house, I kept chasing her off when she tried to come rub against my legs... she kept it up for half an hour when eventually I gave in and let her. She absolutely wants to be pet. She's not big on being picked up but most high energy cats are too busy for such things.

Every single one of the eight Savannahs living in my home love to be pet. I think it is an error to keep ascribing such traits to the "wild" heritage. Feral domestic cats aren't big on petting either.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, i would say she is social...many cats (not just hybrids) do not like to be held or petted...I had a 15 yo MC that loved to be held, petted, I could drape him over my shoulders, etc. My 9 yo DSH cannot be held at all, runs under the bed when anyone strange appears or when the doorbell rings, but he loves to be petted.

I can hold my female SV kitten for quite a while...my male for a minute or two...I raised them though from day 1.

DB in RR

Savannah Adult
it is not true that just because your bengal or a savannah is a hybrid, they do not like to be held or petted...there are plenty of savannahs that love to be held and all of mine love to be petted...it depends on the cat sometimes and other times it depends on how they were or were not socialized.

Savannah's take being away from them personally ( Bengals maybe too ). When Cayenne came home she was equally affectionate to my wife and I. However my wife had to take a trip to take my daughter back to college, Cayenne ignored her the first two days. She let her pet her, but showed no affection while showing 10X affection to me.

An F2 sounds great, but make sure as others on the forum might note that it is completely legal where you live. While an F5 or F6 might live in stealth (and I am not suggesting/condoning this), an F2 will be obvious. Just saying

David