1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Charity events... what do you do?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Julie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Julie

Julie Savannah Super Cat

-hy do I feel like a jerk when telling people no to car events for local spca / shelters... it always ends up this huge page long reply when I decline because they know I love animals. Its gotten pretty simple though, sorry they want to ban my boys, you'd think for most that would be enough but they always seem confused. Argh lol

So on that note, what do you do?

Her reply back was but this is a local no kill spca, but I'm still so skeptical on where the money would go. They also said they take donations of leashes and such but I feel like confused and frustrated. I want to help local no kills but worry at the same time its kinda like slapping myself and everyone trying to save hybrids in the face... argh

So hope my ramble makes sense... thoughts?

2. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I donate to my local no kill shelter. Not every shelter is affiliated with HSUS...I have given money and raw food...and I do not feel badly about it.

3. Julie

Julie Savannah Super Cat

Okay, just after looking on spca's site it shows anti hybrid and anti exotic info and makes me wonder since this shelter is labled "spca".

4. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

well, that is a different story...I don't know what to say...donating to my local non-kill shelter to me is not the same as donating to HSUS or SPCA...I mean, they will give the food I donate to the animals...maybe find a shelter not affiliated with SPCA...mine is not. or just give something that goes directly to the animals? Or donate to the Winn Foundation?

You really don't need to explain yourself to anyone...just say no, I have donated elsewhere.

5. Julie

Julie Savannah Super Cat

http://www.aspca.org/About-Us/policy-positions/hybrids-as-pets

At least the spca is out and open about it.

Yeah, its more we do many car events and they normally have a "charity" and a required donation to enter which honestly sucks when you want to go, but don't want to donate to the charity how they want. There is one this Saturday is what started this today.

6. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Well, why not contact the person(s) running the car event and try to change the way they do things...make a suggestion as to what other charity to add and explain why.

7. Julie

Julie Savannah Super Cat

Never thought of that, outside of the winn foundation do you off hand know of any other charities or places that are on the up and up with ... geez everything?

8. Dantes

Dantes Guest

Duma and I did a fashion show this past weekend for the Alameda SPCA shelter. I don't know that they say anything against hybrids, but I suppose I should have researched first. I kind of felt that by doing the event I was exposing people to what a Savannah was and that was a good thing. People were amazed at how sweet and tolerant he was. I try to take him out as much as possible, he seems to like the attention.

• Like Like x 1
  9. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Let me think about it...and maybe someone else has some ideas...