Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Chewing Paper

admin

Paige
Staff member
This is a question I hear all the time, so thought I would post it here. And this is not just a SV "thing" :)

So why does my girl chew up paper all over the place and spit it out? She also chews cardboard boxes. doesn't eat any of it - spits the pieces out all over the house - LOL!

She seems to do it to get attention, especially when I am working on my computer. Anyone else see this behavior?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've had some kittens that were insane about paper and would chew holes in any pieces of paper they could find. I had to submit a form with the corner all chewed which was embarrassing to explain... "the kittens ate my homework" kinda thing ;-)

Mine will chew on a cardboard box but I think that is entertainment, they don't seem to do it near me to get my attention but Zuri must have worked it out. I think if you stop what you are doing when a cat is chewing on something and either get up or speak to them, then you are likely rewarding that behavior so they "can" learn to do that just for attention...

admin

Paige
Staff member
You are probably right, Brigitte. Taj entertained himself with TP when he was a kitten, but grew out of it. She moved from TP to paper towels, cardboard and any paper that is near me. She chews on checks and the bank is not too amused when I try to cash them as they won't go through their machines :)

So I guess I should just ignore her...I try to keep all paper out of her reach, but...sometimes I forget. She does not do it when I am not home.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I tried to cash a check yesterday that Zuri chewed and couldn't because it wouldn't go through the machine. MAde me deposit it :eek:

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
At least they still accepted it I guess! Just hope she doesn't start chewing on your banknotes... I know it seems like they are consuming money but that might be beyond the pale ;-)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Yes, this is true...the poor kid tried several times and gave up. I was wondering what was taking so long as I held up the drive through line :( She doesn't seem to chew money...guess she knows better - LOL!

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Maybe they put something in the paper that makes it less attractive to pets to chew? Probably inadvertently although maybe the money paper manufacturers have pets...