1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

1. waitingforgeorge

waitingforgeorge George's brother

What are the typical stages a SV's coat goes through and at what ages from birth to their final adult color/coat?

2. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

I don't know that you can generalize about this. Some kittens will shed their fuzzies and have their 'adult' coats at a few months of age. However, I have had a couple of Savannahs whose coat and contrast changed after their first spring shedding (not that they shed a lot :). I also have a girl whose kittens tend to stay fuzzy until they are 7-9 months old, so very difficult to tell what they will finally end up looking like when they are kittens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wyldthingz

Wyldthingz Savannah Super Cat

Their coats do tend to look strikingly contrasted as a kitten (7 to 9 weeks) and a rare few will remain as brilliant but will darken. One of the F1 I had was the servally yellow coat but it darkened to a cool brown. Silver however can go both ways. It can look really drab during the kitten fuzzies then pop out later or look really contrasty as a kitten and drab out later. Some of my girls also lighten in summer and darken during the winter. Adult coats are pretty much there at about a year. Silver and snow will also change for up to 2 years and go though a number of different transitions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. F1hybrids

F1hybrids Savannah Super Cat

Depends on the line. Usually I go off the color right at the base of the ear. You will notice kittens that appear "golden" but have the reddish brown color at the base of the ear normally turn the reddish brown.

But coats can be crazy, like my silver F1. Had silver spots then bam all of a sudden 14 weeks and she has jet black???? That like never happens. Then I've had jet black spots that hit 7 weeks and BOOM they are brown.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wyldthingz

Wyldthingz Savannah Super Cat

Silver is very weird that way!