Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Cody's Liver Count

Danger Kitty

Site Supporter
When I've had any of mine with shaved bellies I've loved the feel but also the way the spots went to the skin...it looks so cool!
I'm so glad that this thread could go from where it started to shaved kitty bellies.

I'm happy to report that it seems that Cody is responding well to his antibiotics. I was a little worried about his appetite because all 4 medications said loss of appetite was a possible side effect. Yesterday he ate four 3oz cans of food and today he ate almost 4.5. I felt very lucky before if he ate 2 cans a day. I swear he looks a little bigger. My wife has been gone on business since Tuesday, so it will be interesting to hear what she says. Luckily he only has one small pill and two liquids (he had a single dose of drontal at the beginning). I read a trick online to gently blow in the cats nostrils when you give them the pill to cause a swallowing reaction. It seems to work and he hasn't spit out a single one. The only side effect he is having is diarrhea. Three of the medications have it as a possible side effect but he is taking Metronidazole and I read that it helps treat possible reasons for diarrhea. He did not have diarrhea before he started on the medication. Should I contact the vet?

His drugs.
Metronidazole 0.5 ml - liquid 2x/day for 21 days
Clindamycin 25mg/mL - liquid 2x/day for 21 days
Clavamox 62.5mg - pill 2x/day for 21 days
Drontal feline tablet - single pill, single dose

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I am seriously impressed with the food consumption - Metronidazole and Clavamox can cause nausea and it looks like your vet did not prescribe an anti-nausea pill like Maropitant. I actually could not give Clavamox to a previous cat as the nausea was so extreme. I don't know about the causes of diarrhea as my cat did not experience that.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I think that maybe it is a combination of eating so much more food and the antibiotics. Did your vet suggest a probiotic to go with all those antibiotics? I like to recommend Proviable as it comes in a paste with kaolin and pectin to soothe the gut as well as the probiotic bacteria when the cat/kitten has diarrhea, and capsules just with the probiotic for after... those can be opened and sprinkled on food.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Glad to hear Cody is doing so much better! I agree with Brigitte as far as a Probiotic...I like the Proviable as well....

Danger Kitty

Site Supporter
I am seriously impressed with the food cosumption
I've been shocked. It happened so fast too. He started the antibiotics Monday and ate 2 cans of food Wednesday morning. Wow
I think that maybe it is a combination of eating so much more food and the antibiotics. Did your vet suggest a probiotic to go with all those antibiotics? I like to recommend Proviable as it comes in a paste with kaolin and pectin to soothe the gut as well as the probiotic
Thanks Brigitte. The proviable had good reviews and will be here Sunday. The vet never mentioned probiotics but I was planning on starting him on some. My sister is a herbalist (legal kind haha) and a naturopath up in Vermont. I was waiting to talk to her before ordering but she's taking too long to call. Thanks Paige for backing up the proviable suggestion.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Not all vets are up on the benefits of probiotics. My vet (along with many others) will recommend it, along with a bland diet of boiled chicken with a little white rice...

It's similar to us humans, it's fairly commonplace to eat some yogurt or take probiotics. There's probiotic drops for babies too. You can use the human preparations, but the Proviable and others contain bacteria specifically for cats (and dogs) rather than humans...

Danger Kitty

Site Supporter
Hey guys I have a couple questions and an update.

So I ended up taking Cody off the probiotics. After the first day he wasn't eating very well. I tried them for 4 days and his diarrhea didn't get better at all. The day I stopped the antibiotics I started giving him fat-free yogurt and pumpkin both from whole foods. The yogurt is just skim milk milk and live active cultures and the pumpkin is just purée with nothing added. He really seems to like both, he is eating a lot better and his stool is firming up. He has gained a pound since starting the antibiotic (June 15) and has been very lively. The vet wants me to have his liver count taken again after the antibiotics have stopped for a week. The antibiotics stop July 6 and his appointment will be July 13. Every year my family does a weekend trip the the beach. This year it's July 10. It's a timeshare so I had no input about dates. I have somebody to come play with and feed the cats and I would be just over an hour away. She is very reliable and a real animal lover.

My questions are:
Should I take Cody out of quarantine to meet my other cat to make it easier on the cat sitter?
Should I be worried about Cody coming off the antibiotics?
Should I try to get a liver test now as well as after the antibiotics?

Thank you for any info you guys can provide.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Should I take Cody out of quarantine to meet my other cat to make it easier on the cat sitter?

No, I would not do that...it might add too much stress to Cody...I would wait

Should I be worried about Cody coming off the antibiotics

What is your worry?

Should I try to get a liver test now as well as after the antibiotics?

I would wait until you return...a few days will not make much of a difference :)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
H
My questions are:
Should I take Cody out of quarantine to meet my other cat to make it easier on the cat sitter? I wouldn't as the time for a proper intro is short, he is just coming off the meds, and he'll have someone new taking care of him. My opinion is that it's too much change in too short a time.

Should I be worried about Cody coming off the antibiotics? No. You should be happy and hopeful that he won't have a relapse.

Should I try to get a liver test now as well as after the antibiotics? Your call. I wouldn't if it were me. You can have the test done when you get back home.

Thank you for any info you guys can provide.