1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Collars?

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat - General Discussion' started by Ashley, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Ashley

Ashley Savannah Super Cat

-Sorry if this has been posted before.-
    Will any of your Savannahs keep a collar on? Kovu has managed to break 2 collars trying to get them off. He has a microchip, and he does wear his harness when we go out, but Glenn wants him to get used to keeping a collar on for some reason.

Can any one recommend a durable collar? These ones from PetSmart aren't cutting it. Is it even worth the fight to keep it on since he has the chip & a harness while outside?

2. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

I personally would never keep a collar on a cat unsupervised since he could get it snagged and hang himself. Years ago I found a long-haired cat with a flea collar on that had literally peeled off a huge chunk of skin from her neck. You couldn't see it at casual glance because of the long hair, but it was pretty wicked looking once revealed...

3. Kristine

Kristine Moderator

I have never been able to have mine wear collars. But, almost all of my buyers have collars on theirs, I think I may be impatient with them getting them off, maybe after going through two or three or more break away cat safe collars they get accustomed to it and them them on?

4. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

I used to have collars on my cats...right up until ONE of them decided that snapping them off was great sport and then I couldn't keep them on no matter how persistent I was. I gave up, and haven't revisited it since.

Before then I'd had three cats get out over the space of some years and NOT ONE of them came back with a collar on... they lost them somewhere. So not sure of the value of them if they get out anyway, we give cats breakaway collars for their safety but it means they don't necessarily stay on too well...

5. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Both my cats do not wear collars. They are microchipped however.

6. Jacq

Jacq Savannah Super Cat

I don't think collars on cats are very practical. None of mine wear them. I do put necklaces on them occasionally...;)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Trish Allearz

Trish Allearz Moderator

My three oldies used to wear collars, but it was a waste of time with the Savannahs.

8. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

I think microchipping is definitely more practical with our Savannahs (and likely most cats too)... there's been enough stories of cats being found via microchip that it really is an important way to keep our cats safe.

Just thought I'd mention another thing that we often don't think about, keeping a recent picture of our cat that shows both face and body well... we never intend them to be a "lost cat" but when it happens this is essential! I think my Zak going missing is still fresh in my mind...the blood blister under my nail from when I hammered the nail bed putting up lost kitty flyers hasn't grown out yet!

• Like Like x 3