Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Common and uncommon vaccines

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
So come to find out the kitten that I am looking at hasn't received vaccine yet. Very healthy and will be going to vet before being sent to my home. I am not too educated in vaccine. I have been told killed vaccine is best then altered live is best. and then I hear of sarcomas and its all quite scary to me. what vaccines are necessary, which ones are not always necessary. which ones do the vets push on you but don't really need. I know there are some out there. Should I vaccinate while in quarantine or after quarantine once he is used to my home and that I can tell if his personality has changed? Should I neuter first? tell me all you know on this topic. for now will be strictly indoor. But he is being leash trained currently indoors at the breeders house. if he takes well to it and enjoys going in walks he may eventually come camping with me or on day hikes down the road. Are any other vaccines necessary in that case or is it really not required. I don't want to expose my cat to anything that could harm him or risk his health. but I do want to make sure that preventative measures are taken to keep him healthy. I feel like an adoptive mother lol. I wanna know all I can. feel free to share your knowledge. -this was brough up in a separate thread and I felt it was necessary to continue in correct thread.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you! In having trouble finding reading material. Ill tar a peak.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
And what order should I go about things? vaccinate before or after neuter?

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I would definitely make sure vaccinations are up to date before neutering. The cat should already be somewhat protected by immunizations prior to shipping. I read in another thread that the breeder doesn't vaccinate? That's downright irresponsible IMHO. If I were you, I would ask that at least 1 FVRCP vaccination be given 1.5-2 wks before the cat is shipped to you.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
He is around 4 months old. So over all of those ages. But I'm not sure I trust taking to the vet for a surgery when so many sick animals have been there could catch something. Perhaps vaccine first. I wonder if I can do vaccine as soon as I get him and take for checkup. Or if it is too soon

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
they vaccinate any cats over the age of 6 months. but the younger kittens they do not. first topic of concern I have come across with them. I guess the hippies around them oppose it. the cat would need to be seen by vet before being sent to me. I would be heartbroken if anything were to happen. I believe airlines have regulations on that though. does it take 2 weeks for vaccine to work? Or to make sure there aren't any health concerns before leaving. Flight could be very stressful on a cat I would presume.

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
If they vaccinated at least once for FVRCP prior to shipping that's way better than not at all. Generally, it takes about 1-2 wks for immune response to activate. Same as with humans.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
Thank you I will make sure to discuss this with the breeder. I want to make sure everything goes as seamlessly as possible. Also my bunnies were treated for snuffles a while back. I don't think it was pasturella but bordetella that caused it. Partially because my hedgehog fell ill with a respiratory infection which may have been from the breeder who I allowed to use him as a stud. Or from the virus being spread from the bunnies when they were sick and staying dormant until he was bred. I have no way of knowing. They are healthy now. Have been for a long time but I have heard of it coming back in stressful situations and I would not want my cat to catch anything if that were to happen. should I vaccinate for bordetella or am I being too cautious. I do not want to over vaccinate. or vaccinate unnecessarily