Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Day 10

admin

Paige
Staff member
How much fancy feast does she eat vs raw food? How much dry does she eat?

Her stools do not look normal to me at all. but it may just be the photo...

Patti

Admin
Staff member
As long as the bones are uncooked they will just chew them up and swallow them. Occasionally larger pieces they will leave in the bowl. The bones should never be cooked as that is where you run into issues with bone shards and potential choking.

Hope that helps!
I don't think give buffalo or venison bones, but raw chicken bones are fine.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Agreed Patti, I should have suggested bones from animals with a reasonable expectation of being prey animals.

I also wouldn't have any reservation about feeding bone from larger animals if I had ran it through my grinder.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
She may be eating litter because she has a lack of calcium in her diet. Please feed her raw chicken with bones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
Definitely get her some bones. I gave Kovu whole chicken legs when he was teething and he was happy. I just made sure I knew where the prey was being dragged off and hidden if he didn't eat the whole thing. I would get ground rabbit and venison from hair today, bones, insides, the whole shebang (except fur, but you can have that, too!) as that is how raw should be fed to get all the nutrients for little fur faces. I would mix alnutrin in it, also sold by hare today. I also feed primal for cats, that has the bone ground in there already as does instinct raw if you don't want to grind your own like me!

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
On a serious note, Witchy mentioned some advanced knowledge of scat. Surprised she hasn't rendered an opinion.

MM3

Site Supporter
You should absolutely be including bones or bone meal with your cats raw diet. Not sure if you're grinding but if not you can pick up bone meal and add it into your raw mixture. I also think there are a fair amount of supplements people use for feeding slab meats without bones that includes the other necessities. I have never ran that route, but I am sure there are a few people who can chime in.

As long as the bones are uncooked they will just chew them up and swallow them. Occasionally larger pieces they will leave in the bowl. The bones should never be cooked as that is where you run into issues with bone shards and potential choking.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for all the valuable information, will grind bones tomorrow. How often should she be given bone meal? Daily???

John Popp

Site Supporter
Our cats were getting bone every day as it was ground into their raw recipes. They were fed whole ground rabbit (without fur), duck, chicken and pheasant all ground with bones in place. The rabbit was the only food that they would occasionally leave some bone fragments in their dishes and all the rest they would clean up pretty good.

In the interim it might be best to just use a tablespoon of bone meal per pound of slab muscle meat which you can pick up at a local health food store. That will get you by until you are able to start grinding bone in meats or pick up a product like the Mazuri one mentioned previously.

Hope that helps!