Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Deli Meat in the Diet - Thoughts?

rampz

Savannah Adult
My 6 month kitten (F5 SBT) stole some turkey cold cuts when I was making a sandwich. Now he developed a strong liking to deli meat (low-sodium turkey from deli). Is there any harm in giving him some as long as he gets a balanced raw diet?

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If you are talking about a high quality turkey selection at the deli counter it is probably okay, but I suspect there is a fair share of sodium in it, even if it is touted as being low sodium. If the nutritional information is not readily available ask the butcher if they can provide it.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Years of experience with cats has taught me... either you lock them up in a room, or you have to give them some as you make the sandwich. Haven't found a cat that doesn't love ham. A small portion shouldn't hurt.
Oh, and good luck trying to keep them back from the cheese. You have to pay the toll with that too!

MM3

Site Supporter
Emma has recently developed a looking to thin sliced deli roast beef. I buy the low sodium no sulfate no nitrates blah blah ..... cleanest one can I can buy at a deli. And I might add not inexpensive! But it's a treat. I do believe it's better than dry treats. Gotta keep the hydration going. Only feeding deli meat would be a harm, but if it's like mentioned couple of pieces, cant see how that would be a negative.

John Popp

Site Supporter
Any meat the minx and I eat the cats have zero interest in, but make a salad and it's a different story. Cooked breast meat is going to have little to no nutritional value, so as a treat food would be as far as I would go with it.