Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Design my Cat House!

Catherine G.

feline fan
I'm so excited! My husband and I just went under contract on a new (to us) home. It is located outside of town on some acreage. One of my non-negotiables is that I had to be able to have an enclosure for my Savannahs. This home had an outbuilding that is perfect for this purpose. The shed is 10x20. It currently has a dog door that leads out to an open area that is fenced in. The fence is only 4 ft. high though and not contained on the top. The shed is unfinished on the inside. I only have 2 cats but would like to in the future expand to maybe 4 or 5.

I need advice or maybe some design pointers on how to finish the inside and outside areas. I live in Colorado so it does get cold (hence the snow) and in the summer it gets over 100*.

IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0557.JPG

Patti

Admin
Staff member
If you want your cats to use this year round then I would recommend insulating and finishing the inside, and installing a climate control unit (heating and cooling). The fenced area looks taller than four feet, you might want to look into covering it so they have an outdoor area as well. How far away from the house is this shed? If it is a reasonable distance you might be able to build a catwalk/cat tunnel back and forth with a cat door on each end so they have free access to go back and forth as they desire.

Once you have assured that the building is secured and safe you can focus on the fixins. You might want to consider a tile or laminate floor that is easy to clean. If you use sheetrock for the walls painting with a high gloss paint usually makes it easier to clean. Cat treaes, shelves that form stairways up and down the walls, thick ropes hanging from the ceiling, a cat wheel, tunnels, etc. are all possibilities for the inside, a running water fountain/pond would undoubtedly be appreciated outside