Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Development Question

Robbie2

Savannah Kitten
Hi Per,

Inchon, my 1 1/2 year old F2 male testicles haven't descended, at least to where my Vet can figure out. Since Savannah males are sterile until the F4 or F5 generation (so I'm told) does this affect the development of their testicles. My Vet is worried (an so am I) that they may be internal but he doesn't just want to perform surgery until he has some more information about their development.

So far Inchon doesn't show any signs of spraying but he does "fidget" a lot, walk around the house like he's lost something. I don't know if that is just part of the Savannah temperament or hormones.

Any information that you can give that I can pass to my Vet will be greatly appreciated.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
In my experience Savannah males develop testicles the same way any other normal male cat develops. If the testicles haven't descended then they are probably internal and he will most likely require exploratory surgery to have them removed. It is not common, but does happen on occasion that one of the testicles doesn't descend, however I've never heard of neither testicle descending - has your vet considered that Inchon might be a hermaphrodite? Very rare but not impossible...

Robbie2

Savannah Kitten
No, I don't think so since that is a term I have never heard before (hermaphrodite). Is there any behaivior clues that may point to that?

Trish Allearz

Really, waiting isn't going to change anything. To neuter a cryptorchid is about the same work as spaying a girl.

And no, it's not a breed issue, just a puppy and kitten issue that happens occasionally.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Patti

Admin
Staff member
No, I don't think so since that is a term I have never heard before (hermaphrodite). Is there any behaivior clues that may point to that?
Nope, you wouldn't be able to tell except by exam and/or ultrasound, and/or exploratory surgery.... but (sorry for being graphic) a cat that has a penis and no testicles is a clue that something else might be going on. If your vet does surgery looking for testicles and finds ovaries instead - then you'll know.

Robbie2

Savannah Kitten
Well Inchon is headed to the Vet this morning to get clipped. We've had several discussion with our Veterinarian and he has worked out a course of action to see where "things" are. As with any procedure we will be nervous until it's done and Inchon is back home.

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well Inchon is headed to the Vet this morning to get clipped. We've had several discussion with our Veterinarian and he has worked out a course of action to see where "things" are. As with any procedure we will be nervous until it's done and Inchon is back home.

I'm sure all will go well, but please keep us updated!

Robbie2

Savannah Kitten
I'm sure all will go well, but please keep us updated!
All went great! Once Inchon was sedated and fully relaxed my Vet was able to feel around better and was able to find both sacks without having to go into the abdomen. The whole procedure took less than an hour and Inchon was awake soon after with no ill effects. I sure am glad that's all over with, I don't know who was stressed more Inchon or ME!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Glad to hear all went week! Now you can relax :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk