Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Diarrhea and now peeing on daughters bed

NiklasEdinFan

Savannah Kitten
I have an appointment with the vet after I get off work today but I thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had any thoughts on what is going on with Edin.

Last night when I was putting my daughter to bed she complained her comforter stunk so I took a whiff and made her immediately get out of the bed as I knew the smell having had a sick cat 7 years ago. I pulled back all the bedding and right smack in the middle of her bed was a huge urine mess. I stripped the bed, sprayed the mattress down and then flipped it over, only to discover it isn't a double sided one but that is another story. I went to Walmart bright and early before coming to work and bought 2 plastic mattress covers in hopes to cover the smell and salvage the mattress until we can figure out what's going on. Edin has always been good about using her box and in the 3 months we've had her this is the first incident and hopefully the last. My daughter is rough with her at times but Edin very rarely claws her or hurts her and seems overly tolerant. Would this be a way of her lashing out at my daughter or could it be related to my next issue?

Last night during my box scooping routine I noticed Edin had very loose, liquid diarrhea as she likes to use the box as I am scooping (evil kitty). This was concerning as I had just been scooping and it was solid so the diarrhea was new. We have not changed anything in her routine. Same food (Young Again), same litter, same treats, same routines. She has been having a ton of gassiness over the past couple days where it chases you out of the room it's so foul. Has anyone else experienced this? Can it be related to her urinating outside the box? Am I being overly paranoid?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
What kind of water do you give Edin? Nasty smelling diarrhea poop with gas is often caused by Giardia which can come from your tap water. Can you bring a stool sample to the vet today?

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I am thinking that if she is particular about her box at all and had runny diarrhea in the box, she might find another location to pee.

NiklasEdinFan

Savannah Kitten
I'm thinking I'm going to get a second box also and see if that helps her. I've been meaning to anyway. I guess I should be glad it was on our belongings and not on the carpet since we rent our house.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
Like others have mentioned, a stool sample would be very helpful to take to the vet. The fresher, the better. You can also put in zip lock baggies and put in the fridge to help keep it fresh. My vet prefers a sample no older than a few hours, but Shango's pretty regular so I always had a super fresh sample.

Depending on the water where you live, tap water could be the culprit.

What kind of bedding does your daughter have? I know most of the time it's recommended not to have down comforters for kittens... although since the problem just started it's unlikely that was the reason for her peeing on the bed.

I don't think you can ever get cat pee out of a mattress. If it were me, I'd toss the soiled mattress and buy a new one now. Then put the plastic/water proof cover on the new one so you don't have to worry about it getting ruined as well. Cats have a much better sense of smell than us so she might still be able to smell the pee even if you put a mattress cover on.

NiklasEdinFan

Savannah Kitten
My daughter just has a character comforter and a fleece blanket. I did buy 2 waterproof pads figuring Edin will still be able to smell the urine. Luckily I don't spend a ton of money on my daughters furniture or bedding as she's pretty destructive with her stuff as it is.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
You will definitely need to thoroughly cleanse the mattress, e.g. soak it through and through with Anti Icky Poo or Unique Distributers. You may have to do it more than once to completely get the stink out.

I would give Edin the benefit of the doubt this time and just chalk it up to an accident, but you should talk to your vet about checking her for a UTI if he doesn't suggest it himself (as well as checking the stool for infection). Let us know what he says!

NiklasEdinFan

Savannah Kitten
So everything looked good at the vet. Of course no stool sample as my Edin is a super good coverer and I wasn't home to watch her every move and catch her before she buried. I will get a sample hopefully Saturday and take it in. Right now we are going on assumptions and she's on an antibiotic and a medication to kill any potential parasites.

I did stop buy Petco and bought a second box and more litter. I also bought a bottle of advanced strength Natures Miracle for any other accidents that may happen. I am giving her the benefit of the doubt this time but if it happens again she will be tested for a UTI.

Right now she's angry with me and hiding. :cautious:

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Right now we are going on assumptions and she's on an antibiotic and a medication to kill any potential parasites.
You might want to consider giving her probiotics (Probios is a good one) until she is totally recovered. It'll help reestablish intestinal flora that becomes unbalanced during illness and due to antibiotic use. Feed her a grain-free food, preferably canned since dry may tend to dehydrate her even more depending on the severity or duration of the diarrhea.