1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

did anyone get papers with their kitty?

Discussion in 'Purchasing a Savannah Cat' started by gahnja77, Sep 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gahnja77

gahnja77

i got my F4 from a1savannahs.com but i didnt get any paperwork on him or a pedigree or anything...is this normal? did you guys get "proof" that your cat is what they say it is? and if i didnt then how do i go about asking for it?
  2. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Ask Martin for his paperwork. Usually you need to get the cat neutered/spayed and show proof before you get his TICA registration papers.

As for a pedigree...you need to order that yourself from TICA...
  3. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

A good breeder should be able to supply you with a pedigree before purchasing. Once you have his blue slip (the form you can register your kitten from ) you can order an official pedigree from TICA, but a breeder should have a cattery software program that can issue you a pedigree also.
  4. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I have never had a pedigree from any of my breeders and prefer to get mine from TICA...I mean, I don't have the software to print mine either...and I consider myself to be a good breeder ;)
  5. Brigitte Cowell

What cattery software do you have, if any? Just about all can make a pedigree..but there's an online free website I knew of that you could do it with also.

But if you don't, you probably DO have the pedigrees on your cats and could send copies of both parents to a prospective buyer, right?

I do think that a buyer has a right to know the background of a cat they wish to purchase. Many don't care, but if they ask I believe a breeder should be able to give them that information.

Now, I know you only have one queen...but when purchasing a stud, wouldn't you wish to know ahead of purchasing him if there was significant relatedness between him and your queen? I actually HAVE had people that were set on buying a kitten from me when I asked them what cats they were intending to breed him to and have to tell them how related they were. One breeder had signed a contract and sent me the holding fee for one male then posted online another male she just had delivered and he was my kitten's uncle! My kitten's mother was the full sibling of that cat. She hadn't checked pedigrees at all...even though I had sent her my kitten's pedigree.
  6. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I do have El Gato, so could probably use it...I do have pedigrees on both the dam and sire, so yes, I can always send...and now that I am a breeder, yes, I would not purchase a stud significantly related to my queen...I'm sure Martin has the pedigrees...I just preferred to get mine from TICA at the time as I wanted a five gen pedigree.
  7. Brigitte Cowell

Yes, and I do order TICA pedigrees even though I have El Gato. But if someone asks, I like to be able to send them a pedigree.... for a litter of kittens that aren't registered yet, El Gato makes a decent interim pedigree for them :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Ok, good to know...I guess I will have to take a look, although I am now registering the litter as we speak...but am confused so will go back to it later ;)
  9. Sue

Sue Site Supporter

I ordered the 5 generation from TICA and got it last week. I noticed that a lot of the cats were from the same breeder that my brother (Rascaldad) bought 4 Savannah's from. He lives in IIlinois and I live in Fl. So I called him and he emailed me copies of his pedigrees. It turns out that the mother of his F3 female had a sister in the same litter that is the great great grandmother of mine. Tink is an F6. I also now know what other breeds were used. Tink has Bengals, and American Bob Tails in her background. I also am able to combine the 2 pedigrees to have an 8 generation pedigree in a few places. Our 2 pedigrees had 3 cats in common. I found this very interesting and would recommend buying the pedigrees if you do not get one from the breeder. Sue
  10. Patti

Patti Admin Staff Member

I know very few breeders who actually use cattery or pedigree software.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.