Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Excited :)

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I wouldn't call it adept......o_O. Who said anything about self medicating? I get professional advice like the rest of you. Just have easier access like you do.

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
So the baking soda with the Worlds Best got Trance to start eating it. Then I saw Nakaia licking it more and at one point she had a horrible coughing fit because of it. So I'm going to try the worlds best without it again. I changed the litter box entirely on August 9th was the last time, two days ago one of them had gone on their bedding again. I had enough. I took their bedding out and kept it out for a couple of days (until today) to see if maybe one of them thought of it as a little box (like kittens do with certain types of blankets). Two days later they seemed to be using the litter box and I thought I had figured out the issue. Until tonight when I came home and one had gone poo on the floor instead...

So I've decided to keep them happy and me sane I'll be changing the litter box entirely about every 5 to 7 days even though it should last longer than that.

-------

I'll be keeping an eye out for litter eating behavior as well. If Trance goes back to eating huge clumps of it or whatever I'll re-add a smaller amount of baking soda or something.

Brandy DW

Neosporin contains neomycin. Of the topical antibiotics, neomycin causes the most allergic skin reactions. You could use Polysporin (bacitracin/polymixin) or plain bacitracin ointment.

Good to know about Neosporin, although with a lot of topical meds and lotions my skin breaks out a little. Usually not for long but I just have really sensitive skin and eczema on my hands (which surprise, surprise is where people usually get bit).

I probably read something about allergy's with different mycin medications when I was studying for the cpht exam but after I passed I promptly forgot/attempted to forget about 90% of the information required because a lot of it would be considered counseling information and I don't want to get fired lol.

Brandy DW

Since the last post I have not had any issues with them peeing or pooing out of the litter box and I haven't changed the litter yet either. I think when I flat out scrubbed the crap out of everything that may have helped. I found out there was some urine residue around the litter box that was visible to the naked eye and maybe that was also contributing to their behavior? I don't know. But it's been good so far *fingers crossed*. I did not put baking soda in the litter again.

-----

On Friday I brought Trance over to a friends house, she did relatively well on the car ride. She did relatively well being around another cat, the other cat likes other cats so it didn't get to be hissy until Amanda (my friend) kept holding Trance and her cat Kobi got a bit jealous. We were only over there for about 40 minutes or so and we didn't allow direct contact between the cats. I would have brought Nakaia as well but she hates getting in the carrier now and I thought one cat would be easier to watch as well..

-----

Nakaia tonight had another coughing fit, she hasn't had one in a while so it took me off guard. I gave her some laxatone (Trance too), and some more water. That seemed to subdue the cough. I'm thinking/hoping it's a hairball thing. I did find a little throw up (like the size of a quarter) that I think was from her. I'm going to just keep an eye on her for now.

Brandy DW

I swear to god that Trance knows I bragged about there not having been an accident. Because this morning when I got up to use the restroom, I could smell a urine smell, I went and checked and yep their bedding was pretty much saturated. So I went down and threw that in the wash, came upstairs and cleaned up around where it had been...
Just when I got done doing that I saw Trance standing on her hind legs and I could hear a sound, at first I thought she was peeing again but it would have been a really odd way to go pee. Nope, she was going poo where the bedding had been, where I just cleaned up. At that point I was a bit upset and made some grumbling to them along the lines of "really?" "nooo" etc. I obviously cleaned it up and used cleaner again. I'll be changing their litter entirely this afternoon, I'm in no mood to do it atm. Hopefully Trance doesn't have to go again before then, she shouldn't. As far as I know Nakaia has always used the litter box so that won't be an issue if she has to go.

One good thing I can say about this is between the time she went pee and the time she went poo she had been running around my living room some. She could have easily gone poo on the carpet or in a corner or where ever but she didn't. I guess I don't understand that part. Why is she continually going on her stuff? Where she would sleep for crying out loud? With how she went poo standing on her hind legs, over Nakaia I'm starting to wonder if it's a dominance thing. But I change the litter and she goes in there again. I did get it to 10 days this time so I really should have gone with what I said I was going to do before and change it every 5 to 7 days...

admin

Paige
Staff member
I swear to god that Trance knows I bragged about there not having been an accident. Because this morning when I got up to use the restroom, I could smell a urine smell, I went and checked and yep their bedding was pretty much saturated. So I went down and threw that in the wash, came upstairs and cleaned up around where it had been...
Just when I got done doing that I saw Trance standing on her hind legs and I could hear a sound, at first I thought she was peeing again but it would have been a really odd way to go pee. Nope, she was going poo where the bedding had been, where I just cleaned up. At that point I was a bit upset and made some grumbling to them along the lines of "really?" "nooo" etc. I obviously cleaned it up and used cleaner again. I'll be changing their litter entirely this afternoon, I'm in no mood to do it atm. Hopefully Trance doesn't have to go again before then, she shouldn't. As far as I know Nakaia has always used the litter box so that won't be an issue if she has to go.

One good thing I can say about this is between the time she went pee and the time she went poo she had been running around my living room some. She could have easily gone poo on the carpet or in a corner or where ever but she didn't. I guess I don't understand that part. Why is she continually going on her stuff? Where she would sleep for crying out loud? With how she went poo standing on her hind legs, over Nakaia I'm starting to wonder if it's a dominance thing. But I change the litter and she goes in there again. I did get it to 10 days this time so I really should have gone with what I said I was going to do before and change it every 5 to 7 days...

Brandy, what type of litter are you using again?

Brandy DW

Well they were good for 2 weeks without the changing of the full litter, yay. Accident tonight but yeah..

Brandy DW

So it's been approximately 10 days since Trances last accident and the last time I changed their litter entirely. This morning Trance was meowing in what I now know to be her "I got to use the bathroom" meow but I don't want to use the litter box. At first I thought they were hungry so I gave them some water and food and they did eat and drink some of that but that wasn't the issue. I saw Trance go to the litter box a few times, put her paw in and then walk away. Sometimes still meowing out. I sat and I watched to see what she would do. After probably about 20 minutes of my sitting there with them, she was going to go on the pet bed again, and just as she was getting in the crouch I was like "No" and clapped my hands. That got her to stop and go from the peeing crouch to laying down. Then she got restless again and moving all over. Sometimes meowing still. I took the door off of the litter box to test a theory. Trance went right in, jumped to the back, and went pee in a corner... She then jumped right back out and Nakaia is the one who went in and swept litter over where she had gone.

So at first I thought okay so it's the swinging door sometimes that's the issue.. So I left it off and sat there and watched to see what they would do. Nakaia then went in, looked 3 times like she was going to go poo but then never did. She wouldn't go with me and Trance watching. Also she sat in there like she was sitting on a cat bed, I didn't like that. When Trance went in there again, Nakaia swatted at her from the top of the litter box and Trance jumped right back out. I don't want them playing with each other in the litter box like before and I don't want them terrorizing each other while they go either. Now that I know this trick with Trance it could help but I can't be here all the time when she needs to go.

So I have one cat who won't go in there sometimes after it's been a week to a week in a half/two weeks. With the door on.

Whereas on the other end with the door off, I have the other sister who's reluctant to go, I have them potentially playing in it, and Nakaia potentially sitting in it like it's normal to be chilling in the litter box. I also don't want the litter all over again.

So I'll be bringing home a new bag of litter tonight and hopefully it's not too late..

I really need to get them in with Sabriel... at this point I'm tempted to just toss them in the room with her and let them sort it out but I can't do that!

Chris Elliott

Savannah Super Cat
The rule of thumb is to have the number of cats plus one litter boxes. I'd highly recommend that you add at least one more box to T&N's space. Maybe one open and one closed. Variety.