Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

F1 owners or breeders...

deeisme77

Savannah Super Cat
Awesome Witchy - thank you !

-Being owned by a feline builds character & teaches selflessness, patience, cleverness and joy

Trish Allearz

You can't control what a serval likes. My older f1s' father had two tuxedo domestics, a Mau and another Sv to breed. He never touched the girls with spots and consistently chose the dsh girls.

If I were to try for F1s, I'd try to stick with Sv girls, but to be honest-- you go with what works with the boy you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trish Allearz

And my Ava and Bean are both beautiful servalesque girls albeit very cool toned. But I think a dsh is more a blank template than using a Bengal or Maine coon or another typey breed.

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
I know this is not what is being asked, but I have to say this. I have an F2 B boy, an F3 C girl and an F5 SBT girl, and I have spent some time with an F1 girl. I have to say that, although there are different physical attributes between the generations, I notice most the striking difference in the energy or Spirit that make them individuals. When I look into their eyes I feel that energy.

deeisme77

Savannah Super Cat
I know what you mean :)

-Being owned by a feline builds character & teaches selflessness, patience, cleverness and joy

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
You can't control what a serval likes. My older f1s' father had two tuxedo domestics, a Mau and another Sv to breed. He never touched the girls with spots and consistently chose the dsh girls.

If I were to try for F1s, I'd try to stick with Sv girls, but to be honest-- you go with what works with the boy you have.

And I have heard of Servals that had domestic shorthairs, Orientals and Bengals to choose from and would only breed Bengals. It truly is an individual thing hence the reason we advise new breeders to offer more than one mate to their Serval! Whatever the Serval is attracted to is the most important thing.

Guess they are individual like we humans...

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
And my Ava and Bean are both beautiful servalesque girls albeit very cool toned. But I think a dsh is more a blank template than using a Bengal or Maine coon or another typey breed.

Not sure I agree. A domestic shorthair has no background so you have no way of knowing what traits it might carry, be it behavioral, looks or health. By using a breed you have a little more knowledge of the background of the cat. So not sure of the "blank" template...more of a variable input? It's not blank in terms on not contributing imho.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Having known several servals that were used (or attempted) in an F1 program I have to agree with Trish - it doesn't matter a whit what you think is best, it is completely up to the serval to decide if he likes a girl 'in that way' (many servals love lots of their girls, just won't breed them) - so best to grow him up with a variety of girls from all walks of life. I knew one serval who completely ignored the Maine Coon he'd grown up with until she was shaved - once she was a 'short haired gal' she was acceptable to him... thank goodness otherwise I would never have gotten my Shere Tani... you just never know with servals...

deeisme77

Savannah Super Cat
Do most people raise the serval from a baby with females also raised from babies? Like - they get several kittens at a time? Or just put their serval baby with the girls regardless of their age - so he grows up with them ?

Trish Allearz

Not sure I agree. A domestic shorthair has no background so you have no way of knowing what traits it might carry, be it behavioral, looks or health. By using a breed you have a little more knowledge of the background of the cat. So not sure of the "blank" template...more of a variable input? It's not blank in terms on not contributing imho.

True-- I guess in Dagger's case, it just worked with his kittens due to whatever the girls had in their background. But my 'image' of a DSH is a cat which has no extremes-- it's not heavy and stocky like a Bengal, it just has average ears, average body type, etc. But of course, DSHs can vary completely because they have no type.