Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

First time savannah owner,.. New kitten questions.

Hi my name is Lisa, I live in Canada British Columbia. I have a 2 bedroom townhouse. My husband and I plan to get a Savannah f1 or f2 this fall. (After a few trips and some small Reno's) We have 2 other pets. A Bearded Dragon, & a 3 year old Siberian husky.

I have done a lot or research and continue to keep finding more and more information. I have found a local breeder with amazing quality kittens.

I'm concerned with the introduction of my husky and a kitten. My female husky luna is extremely curious. I don't know how it would be possible in any size house to have a kitten for two weeks without her knowledge.
I understand the importance of isolating the kitten while it adjusts to its surroundings. This is what I planned to do. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

In our master bedroom I planned to have a large tall cat post with a window view. I plan to have the litter box in the on suite bathroom for the kitten during the two week transition. During the day our dog is never aloud in the bedroom. I planned to keep the kitten in the bedroom with the dog in the rest of the house. I think it's important to have the kitten sleep with us to get used to routine. Weather it's on our bed or on its cat post. The dog sleeps on her own bed in the other corner of the room. And is only aloud on the bed when she is invited up.. Would this be too overwhelming for a kitten if she is introduced to the dog within the two week only under our supervision?

My other option is to keep the kitten isolated in the spare bedroom. But it's a lot smaller.

There is no possible way to not introduced the kitten to our dog within the first couple days.

Because the breeder is local I was thinking about bringing blankets that have our smell or the dogs smell to get the kitten pre - adjusted to us. And vice versa. Give the dog kitten blankets.

Will this even matter? Am I over thinking this whole situation?

My dog has never been around cats and gets excited with new things. She calms down when she is adjusted. But I just want to make sure I do everything for both animals safety.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm not sure why you say there is no possible way to NOT introduce the kitten to your dog? If you have a spare bedroom then I would use that for the kitten if you cannot keep the dog out of your bedroom at night. The kitten has a lot to adjust to, so imho the husky is going to be too much. I think it preferable to give it a quiet space to get to know you and the smells/sounds of the house and then introduce her slowly to your dog. I suggest when you start those introductions to use a pet gate across the spare room's doorway also to give the kitten a refuge to go to if they need it. And look at your house from the point of view of a kitten in terms of things they can jump up out of the dog's way if they choose. The kitten will need to choose when it interacts with the dog... and being able to perch out of reach to observe the dog will help the process more.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I agree with Brigitte...a small room is perfect for kittens, which they really need when they leave everything they have known and arrive at a new home with strange smells and people and other animals.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
One of the points to quarantine the kitten IS to let other animals know of its existence and it of theirs before they meet face-to-face. They will be able to smell each other and hear each other, which will familiarize themselves with each other.

Remember, the kitty is a tiny little creature and your exuberant husky is going to seem like a huge monster to it. One way to help with the familiarization process is to swap bedding every few days - in other words, whatever the kitten is sleeping on now give to the dog to sleep on, and vice versa. Bringing a blanket to the breeder with your smells on it can start the initiation process, but remember the dog needs to learn about the kitten as well, so doing this will only benefit the kitten.

Once you are ready for the two to meet face to face I would start by either crating the dog or leashing him so that he is restrained and cannot go after the kitten. Allow the kitten to wander freely - if it wants to run and hide, let it, if it's curious about the dog let it approach, just monitor them closely to see how they respond to each other. It is important that you have developed a bond with the kitten by this point which will help facilitate the introductions.

Until this happens it is important to keep them separated, so if that means you need to keep the kitten in the guest bedroom that is probably the best thing all around. It will be really important for your dog not to feel neglected or rejected, this will just trigger jealousy of the new kitty that is taking away all his humans' attention. So definitely don't keep him out of your bedroom at night if that is his routine, and invite him to join you on the bed frequently so that he feels he is getting special attention. Be sure to dedicate specific time with your dog each day so that he knows you still love him and he's not being replaced by the kitten.

I hope you find the perfect kitty for your home. I'm sure things will all work out as long as you are patient and willing to work with the animals as long as they need it.

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Fair warning when Eddie gets "freaked":confused: & I'm in our room he has no problem jumping on me, straight up my leg! He's been here ~2 weeks & I am his safe spot...because of size differences between Mojo, Tigger, & Eddie... Eddie will be in quarantine another week:cautious:...Tigger is very exuberant & Mojo stand offish...
George:dog: (English Mastiff) is laid back & snorts at the door; Eddies offered paws to the :alien:nose!:lol: I'm actually thinking of introducing George:cool: first as he is the calmest of all of them!

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
Well...George introduced himself. He slammed the door & it popped open:dog:...Eddie stared for a minute:eek: then hopped right over & yelled in Georges face:cool:; At this the giant dog laid down & Eddie went for the wagging tail:roflmao:. Great start to a lifetime friendship!

admin

Paige
Staff member
Well...George introduced himself. He slammed the door & it popped open:dog:...Eddie stared for a minute:eek: then hopped right over & yelled in Georges face:cool:; At this the giant dog laid down & Eddie went for the wagging tail:roflmao:. Great start to a lifetime friendship!

That is wonderful news!!! I'm sure they will be lifelong buddies!!!

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Ahhhh, you're killing me here, PICTURES.
this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

Patti

Admin
Staff member
Glad to hear the intro between Eddie and George went so well!

Patti
Jasirisana Ssvannahs