1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

food suggestions to try?

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Questions? Need Savannah Cat Advice?' started by Nabi, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Nabi

Nabi Kitten Fury

Hello, I have a Kitten Savannah (born April 1st) He has been having the runny/wet poos. My breeder used proplan for kittens, he still had it with the original formula. I slowly transitioned him to the All natural pro plan, and he still has the issue. Any recommendations? I just want him to have happy/healthy :poop:
    Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Charley

Charley Savannah Super Cat

Wellness makes a good kitten food, ours loved it for awhile. He has since moved to Soulistics wet food and loves that - he hasn't had any issues on either food.

3. Nabi

Nabi Kitten Fury

Are the Savannah breeds better with wet food? My breeder was using dry food, and this is what I have been feeding him. MAybe its time to make the switch to wet?
    Thanks again

4. Charley

I'm not 100% sure but my reasoning for feeding wet is that they get most of their water from meats, cats don't drink a lot of water. For dry food our kitty likes the innova. He's never had a problem on it. The only issue we've had with food was giving him some 9 lives when we ran out of food and that made him throw up - so no grocery store food for Savannahs.

5. DocMac

DocMac Guest

My babies will eat anything - the favorite is *shhh* Friskies Chicken shreds, bought by a pet sitter when my PetFood Direct order was two days late and I was in the hospital. I've mixed it with Wellness kitten wet and Blue Bufflo kitten dry, supplemented with raw beef cubes or cooked chicken before bed. (Stinky morning, but nice all night sleep )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Riverridgefarm-com.webs.com
    Riverridgesavannahs@yahoo.com

• Like Like x 1
  6. Charley

LOL! Jengo LOVES the Whiskas appetizers - it's just meat shreds and water - he goes crazy for it. So there are some things you can get from the grocery store I guess.

7. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nabi

Nabi Kitten Fury

Thanks for the suggestions, time to start trying some new recipes for the lil guy! :up:

9. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

But also, Nabi...has your kitten had any testing done? have you taken him to the vet?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

That was my thought too, Paige!

Nabi, has the kitten had the runny poops since you got him? That really is concerning as chronic diarrhea can lead to a kitten/cat developing IBD...so worth checking out sooner rather than later. I'd advise taking to the vet and starting with a fecal float... they may see parasites or bacteria which would be treatable. If nothing is seen, I'd request they send a fecal sample to IDEXX to do a PCR test for gastrointestinal pathogens. Many vets are unfamiliar with this testing as it is relatively new but is the best way to detect things like tritrichomonas which can cause chronic diarrhea. Best to rule out infectious causes before assuming it is diet-related.

When any of my cats/kittens have had diarrhea, my vet always recommends putting on a boiled chicken and rice diet...it's the blandest solution and can really help their little systems to settle (unless of course they are allergic to chicken!). Given them a couple weeks to settle before assuming it isn't working. Many have found adding fiber (like canned pumpkin or psyllium husk) to the diet helps too...

• Like Like x 2