Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

For Those Who Feed Raw...

C

Candyce

Yes, I do the same, MK...especially if you are freezing, you may lose Taurine in the process.
I have been concerned that if I add Mazuri supplement to my cats' food (primarily chicken) as I grind and package it that it may lose nutrient value in the freezing process, so I wrote Mazuri and asked them. They replied that the supplement should not diminish if the food is not frozen for longer than a month. Good news for me! Trying to add .5% supplement by weight on a daily basis to defrosted chicken was not only difficult but probably inaccurate, much easier to calculate and measure when dealing with 25 to 30 lbs.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I have been concerned that if I add Mazuri supplement to my cats' food (primarily chicken) as I grind and package it that it may lose nutrient value in the freezing process, so I wrote Mazuri and asked them. They replied that the supplement should not diminish if the food is not frozen for longer than a month. Good news for me! Trying to add .5% supplement by weight on a daily basis to defrosted chicken was not only difficult but probably inaccurate, much easier to calculate and measure when dealing with 25 to 30 lbs.

That's great news, Candyce! Mazuri gave me a formula to use when I was grinding raw for 15 pounds, which was very helpful...however, I still add extra Taurine.

Ashley

Savannah Super Cat
If you find a canned food he likes, mix some into the raw. My guys like it that way. I only mix 1/3 of a can in a big bowl of meat, but it gives it a flavor they like.
This is the ONLY way I'm getting Kovu to eat raw. I just put down about 1/2 of a can & 1 medallion & he is gobbling it up. (yay!)

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Now you can slowly decrease the canned food over time of you want him to just eat raw.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Just read more about the study... the problem was caused by only being fed rabbits. Cats need more than just rabbit protein. That is probably why the taurine problem showed up in this study..
Not just because it was rabbits, just that what cats eat in the wild might actually not be the BEST we can feed. When cats live in the wild they die earlier of all sorts of things... we get the opportunity with our indoor only pets to maximize everything for them including nutrition :)