1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Freeze Dried Chicken Treats

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat - General Discussion' started by KMcgown, Jun 16, 2012.

1. KMcgown

KMcgown Site Supporter

Has anyone tried making their own freeze dried treats? I found directions on-line today and I am going to give it a try. I am going broke buy treats!!;) If you have tried it and you have some advise, let me know!!

2. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I haven't but how about sharing what you found ;)

3. Wyldthingz

Wyldthingz Savannah Super Cat

Really? You can do that?!:confused:

4. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Yes...what I have seen online talks about vacuum sealer and dry ice. If one had a dehydrator, it owuld be even quicker...but...it is a lot of trouble :mad:

5. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

6. KMcgown

KMcgown Site Supporter

I found two ways you can do it...one is with the freezer. I am going to try that. Boil the chicken for 15 minutes, let it cool, cut into slices, place on a cooling rack in the freezer for 5 - 7 days. I already cooked, cut and its in the freezer! If that does't work, I will try the dry ice. I spend some serious money on treats so I hope this works!

• Like Like x 1
  7. KMcgown

KMcgown Site Supporter

Yes, the one Paige posted is the one I tried.

8. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

Let us know how it all turns out please...

9. Dantes

Dantes Guest

I think what you'll find is that you end up with frozen cooked chicken, maybe with freezer burn. The freezer does not freeze dry as it is not pressurized. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeze-drying "Freeze-drying works by freezing the material and then reducing the surrounding pressure to allow the frozen water in the material to sublimate directly from the solid phase to the gas phase." "Two components are common to all types of freeze-dryers: a vacuum pump to reduce the ambient gas pressure in a vessel containing the substance to be dried and a condenser to remove the moisture by condensation on a surface cooled to −40 to −80 °C (−40 to −112 °F)."

• Like Like x 1
  10. KMcgown

KMcgown Site Supporter

I will try the dry ice next depnding on how expensive it is...you would not beleive how much we go through!