1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

1. waitingforgeorge

waitingforgeorge George's brother

Do Savannah's suffer from hairballs? If so, what is the best way to help/prevent them?

2. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

I'd say that all cats with hair can suffer from hairballs at various times...Savannahs don't produce as much hair as a persian or british shorthair though, so it isn't so much of an issue. Generally, if you notice your cat hacking up hairballs the remedies you find in pet stores (from Petromalt paste to hairball treats) are all good things... or add fiber to their diet to make sure everything moves through their system.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Per Lausund

Per Lausund Moderator Staff Member

Sound advice, and I´ve found that adding a drop or two, not more, of "paraffinum liquidum" (that is the chemist´s term for it, and the type you may use, and never give directly in the mouth!) to their food can assist in getting the hairball through if the problem persists. Don´t overdo it though, and don´t be afraid to call your vet for advice.

4. Lori Greer

Lori Greer Cahaba Cats

I've not seen it in mine. If one of them barfs I think they have eaten something that isn't sitting right in their belly or worms.

• Like Like x 1