Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Harness/leash training

Micki

Savannah Super Cat
IMG_2434.JPG
Just wondering... Are you using a harness or walking jacket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Paige,
Great question! Its actually a walking jacket. I did get a harness and put that on him too, thinking it was lighter for him. But he acted the same way!

admin

Paige
Staff member
View attachment 21452
Hi Paige,
Great question! Its actually a walking jacket. I did get a harness and put that on him too, thinking it was lighter for him. But he acted the same way!

It looks great on him! I think he just needs more time... If not, I also have a stroller for my cats that don't like walking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micki

Savannah Super Cat
The gator thing they do when they first get on their harness is pretty funny. While they can't be constrained by childproof locks, doors or crates, a simple harness renders instant paralysis. With our boys we resorted to a bit of corporal snuggling, typical roughhousing and normal play. If they still wanted to be the gator that needed flopped over, we just left the room for 5-10 minutes, wash, rinse, spin, repeat. By day 3 they were content to have them on all the time.

I would like to caution that although you can easily make them be content with a harness or walking jacket, you can't always make them be content with being outside. Some cats just don't like it and will have outright panic attacks about being out doors. Best advice is to just go slow and they should have two or three trips outdoors underarm before their pads ever hit the ground.

Hi John,
Thanks for the great advice! I think Loki will definitely have panic attacks (he's a little skittish) So I probably will not take him out much. I love Savannahluv's idea about getting a stroller for him. Besides, I'm starting to walk more for exercise and it would be perfect to bring Loki along with me! Apparently, my friends told me that if I get the stroller, I will be forever branded as the "Cat Lady"! Lol I am prepared to follow my destiny!!! :big grin:

Micki

Savannah Super Cat
John is completely correct, although with patience you can get them to accept the harness/walking jacket, there's no telling if a cat will enjoy going for walks. Not all Savannahs do, but it is often handy to have them used to wearing the harness. I also trained my British Shorthair to wear one and it came in handy when we traveled and various times in his life too.

And a bonus to having them used to wearing a walking jacket is costumes! Once they are accustomed to wearing a walking jacket you can put halloween and Christmas and any other holiday silly outfit on them and they don't care! LOL!

Thanks, Brigitte, for the great advice!

John Popp

Site Supporter
Oh, one other note. When putting the walking jackets on, make sure you put the neck strap on first. This will insure you have the Torso strap up far enough on the body so they can't slip an elbow through and back out of the jacket. Make sure they are fairly tight as well, you should only be able to slide a finger or two under the straps. If you are leaving much more than that, they'll figure out how to get out especially if they are panicked.

MM3

Site Supporter
I started kitty at 14 weeks old. I made a template harness from old t-shirts. Left it on for 5 to 10 mins many times a day. Built up time when she was just OK with it. The next template was ready with a little heavier fabric then the same routine on and off many times. Then the third template out of heavier fabric. The same routine. It was a huge commitment but it payed off. Putting the actual harness on her and doing the same routine on and off. Now she sits at the door and waits for her harness to be put on. If she's ready for a walk and I'm taking too long to get to it she start chatting very loud and stretch to where I hand her harness by the door to tell me to hurry up.

SavannahLuv

Site Supporter
Hi Savannahluv,
I have been seriously thinking about buying him a stroller! Looks like that's what im gonna do this weekend! What a great idea! I will let you know how it goes! Thank you so much!

The look on people's faces when they go to look at the baby in the stroller and see Shango instead... priceless :ROFLMAO:

I ended up getting this stroller: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OP1ABWC/ref=od_aui_bia_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cheetah print may have influenced my purchasing decision, but I love it. Goes great on smooth surfaces, but also works well on a gravel driveway or going through a bumpy field. I also use it now instead of my SturdiBag when I take Shango to the vet.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
I have a few issues with the stroller:
1. My neighborhood is all hills. Pushing a stroller with a 16 lb and an 18 lb cat inside is one heck of a workout.
2. Jammu gets snippy after a while and smacks Rafiki if she blocks his view.
3. Rafiki does not like going in the stroller without Jammu, in spite of his attitude!

I have not yet decided if a second stroller is the solution.

Micki

Savannah Super Cat
The look on people's faces when they go to look at the baby in the stroller and see Shango instead... priceless :ROFLMAO:

I ended up getting this stroller: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OP1ABWC/ref=od_aui_bia_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cheetah print may have influenced my purchasing decision, but I love it. Goes great on smooth surfaces, but also works well on a gravel driveway or going through a bumpy field. I also use it now instead of my SturdiBag when I take Shango to the vet.

Ordering one tonight!!!! I love animal print anything! :)