Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Has anyone heard of this breeder? Reputation?

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I'm surprised that everybody is saying the F5's are just as good for less money. In my initial investigating, most breeders stated that you are losing the Serval type and activity level when the Fgen drops.

It may depend on where you did your initial investigating.

In my experience, with the same lineage of cats, the F5 SBT kittens I have produced in the last year far exceed the type of the F3s that were their grandmother's siblings. By selective breeding, you can select for the traits you want... with care the F5s can really be something.

Jun27-06-red-rug.jpg May29-06-eye-on-prize.jpg This is one of the first F3s I produced....
zarina_IMG_0051_web.JPG Dec17-13-DSC_9796-lila-face.jpg These are the F5s from the same line...I know that I am much prouder of the latter kittens.

What the F1s have that I think is different from all other generations of Savannahs is the intensity of reactions. Now this can be good, their love for you is intense, but their hate levels are also intense and so they can also choose to hate your partner. This happened to us with one of our F1s, it took over 5 years of patience for my husband to win Missy over. Early generations can be quirky, but I don't think it is limited to them... I just think that you have to search harder to find the good later generation cats. It's much easier to produce a nice F1 or F2 than a nice F5!

Eddies

Eddies a ham!
I have no problem with the amount of $$$$ spent for Eddies hugs & :ninja:WILD looks (almost 5 months & 7 pounds), I love the HUGE face & spotted EARS of MOJO-a 3 year old F6 SBT, now:cool: 22 pounds, I had no problem with the $$$ spent just to get him from half the country away:-o.... On that note Morbius, I did contact that breeder but more out of curiosity than anything else, I believe the best breeders are already here:up: & only have the best of intentions:in love: when they caution you against a cheaply priced kitten. Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it & can afford whatever it needs. RIP Servo. Good luck:) Morbious!

John Popp

Site Supporter
Hmmm, just happened across this and sorry to see it falling into a death spiral. I agree that there are definitely some great breeders on this forum. More importantly I think the breeders here continually contribute to help people with their cats and lurk to improve their own programs. To me that a breeder participates here adds a ton of value to a prospective kitten purchase, because I know where to find them, they likely have the respect of their peers and put themselves in the ring with some other very talented breeders.

I'm also a bit miffed by the intelligence comments. There's not really a very big spread of intelligence between breeds, and sometimes we mistake how determined a particular breed is in getting a cabinet open with how smart they are. That my Savannahs have seemingly all been OCD doesn't make them smarter than my domestics, but it sure made them a lot of fun chasing a feather wand.

Anyway, we all have our own cost/value calculators and some may lean one way further than the other. Then there are the unfortunate few that know the cost of everything and the value of nothing, the person who can hold a penny close enough to their eye to block the brightest star in the universe.

John Popp

Site Supporter
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. I would say you can exchange "insanity" with "a savannah" and the same holds true. That sometimes the results are different, and they flood the kitchen, get the cabinet open or break your best collectible is simply divine intervention.

jacq&nick

Savannah Teenager
I have received 2 kittens from Sunset Exotics, would be interested to know if your experiences have been the same as mine??

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I haven't had any direct experience with Karen. I tried to reach out to her a few years ago and see if I could engage her in the Savannah community and she never responded to me.