Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

hello from shimmeringsoul! =^-^=

shimmeringsoul

Savannah Super Cat
Shimmer, what was your breeder feeding him? What is he eating now?

I did not mean talk you out of cooking your own. It really isn't overly complicated you just have to add supplements and the type/amount of supplements depends on the food. For instance, many folks here make their own raw. The raw would be a mixture of muscle meat (thighs instead of breasts), organ meat and bone. There are readily made supplements to add to this. On the other hand, if you don't add bone, you would add a different supplement that also contains nutrients normally obtained from bone like calcium. [Important - bone is only allowable in raw as it will splinter if it is cooked.] It would be very similar for cooked - you would add the supplement for meat without bone.

If you choose to go with a commercial diet, choose high quality with meat (and not meat byproducts) as the first ingredient. The better ones tend to have very few ingredients. Avoid grain as cats do not digest this. One thing you will notice is that with the high quality food, the poops will be much smaller and less smelly as the cat's digestive system absorbs more so the cat poops less.

And bottom line, your cat may not like the food that you choose regardless of the quality so it will become a grand experiment finding something that both you and Freddy will agree upon.

the breeder was feeding him royal canin but its very pricey im acctualy just researching right now and every time i go get moist food for him i will pick up a few others and see if he likes them so far he likes the royal canin and western family brand he wont touch the friskies at all i have tryed a few different flavors but he wont touch them i also got 5 bags of temptations cat treats all different flavors and tryed 3 different ones he wont even give a second look i put a few pices in his food he picked around them or pulled them out witch i thought was so odd also i have questions about how everyone feels about fish since foucashima happened?? in my area the fish are still affected so i am wondering is it safe to give him any fish in any way since in my area it comes from here or japan or some area like that... as long as the food is not going to hurt him and he likes it i am ok with it and once we are done the move we are about to do soon i will start getting the things i need to start making him his own food.

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Hello Shimmering. Welcome to the savannah fold. Your baby is SO cute! I have a marble as well, and they are such beautiful cats. Every pattern is different.

Rafiki

Site Supporter
Shimmer, be thankful that Freddy is rejecting Friskies as it falls into the garbage category (full of grain and low quality proteins like chicken byproducts and soybean meal). Fish has multiple issues aside from what the radiation from the nuclear fallout may have done. It is good as a treat but should not be a regular food source.

Most cats love the freeze dried chicken treats (aka kitty crack). You can pick up Halo Liv-a-littles and a few other brands at pets stores such as Petco and Petsmart. Mine are such fiends for it that I buy the 10 oz value pack from Whole Life thru Amazon. It is great for treats and if mine are feeling picky, sprinkling crumbs of this stuff on their food will get them to eat just about anything.

You should check out the commercial food thread on this forum: http://www.savannahcatchat.com/forums/savannah-cat-diet/

shimmeringsoul

Savannah Super Cat
thanks so much my mom bout the friskies from the store because i dont get paid till this week so it was a nice thing but i am glad he dont like it im not a big fan of the westernfamily brand ether but he likes it and my mom paid for it so it will get used till its gone then i will get him the better brands... i dont trust any fish anything now a days just to be on the safe side but i will for sure be looking into the freeze dryed chicken for him im sure he will love it i also got him a rabbit ear from the pet store he LOVED that but lost it somewhere lol so momma has to go get more on payday since its a treat and a toy in one lol i have more to say but i just got a call from a friend whos house was broken into last night so i have to go help her out i will post more tonight

Patti

Admin
Staff member
He is sooo adorable! I especially love the pics of him with the other two and four legged critters!

shimmeringsoul

Savannah Super Cat
the ones of him with the other black cat were taken on his first vet visit at city petcare hospital the cats name is Mini she is so friendly and hoped up there as soon as i put the carrier down lol she had just had a bathing lol and the dog is Lily rescued by a great friend of mine freddy and lilly are becoming very good friends its so great and freddy has had his last set of shots im so glad now that the shots are done now his next visit is a neutering im so sad to have to do that but i know it must be done. he didnt do so well at the last visit tho he was freaking out so bad as soon as the vet touched him to listen to his heart beat he cryed then when the vet let go he jumped to my shoulder he flipped out it was a struggle the whole time after that but he was fine as soon as we walked out. and he is happy ever since mommy bought him 4 new toys and a bunch of treats