Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hello from Toronto! it's me, Janice

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
Depending on the breeding and pedigree, mainly 6%...sometimes can be as high as 12%, but not often...
Yes, theoretically an outcrossed F4A will be 6.25%, my F4C Tabita was 11.9% doing the math from her pedigree...and Nadiya (also F4C) was 11.2%.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
I've read that F1 can actually be better with humans than F2 because their mothers are 100% domesticated and they don't learn any fear or aggression whereas the F2 kittens have mothers that are half serval.

I don't agree at ALL! My F1s have been so devoted to their humans that their kittens only learned from mama that humans were the BEST...

Where did you read this?

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
TY for the response. Depending on the breeding how. What do we look for to determine that. Thanks in advance

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
Ok, no judgment just facts.

FACT -- if you breed your cats, you'll become a backyard breeder regardless of whether they are neutered and living in the lap of luxury.

FACT -- Backyard breeders have produced a plethora of low quailty, unsocialized savannah cats.

FACT -- These backyard bred SVs often end up in so called animal sanctuaries.

FACT -- Their behavior has led to many myths about SVs being horrible pets.

FACT -- Humane Society of the US, Big Cat Rescue, Animal Legal Defense Fund have successfully passed laws in cities, counties, states banning SV cat ownership because they have convinced a lot of people that SVs are horrible pets who will "eat your grandmother." That's a direct quote from their California petition to ban SVs as pets.

FACT -- Breeders are being put out of business because of local laws impinging on their right to breed, how often they can breed, how they sell their cats, how they house their cats.

FACT -- If you breed your cats, you wlll do so for purely selfish reasons. You are not helping further the breed standard by mating two cats of questionable/unknown heritage. You should be subject to the same laws and regulations as LEGITIMATE breeders.

FACT -- You can find out all you want to know about genes/phenotypes if you buy this book http://www.savannahcatbook.com/

JaniceNatalie

Savannah Super Cat
What breeders exactly ahave no selfish motives? The cost of these animals alone answers the question. I'm not saying there isn't a love of the breed, or a wanting to improve the breed. But this is not selfless either. Let's just get real on that fact.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
What breeders exactly ahave no selfish motives? The cost of these animals alone answers the question. I'm not saying there isn't a love of the breed, or a wanting to improve the breed. But this is not selfless either. Let's just get real on that fact.

Do you have any idea how many breeders are lucky enough to break even?

This is an expensive hobby not a profitable business. I've been breeding since 2003 and have NEVER come out ahead even one year! It's popular to view breeders as money-grabbing charlatans...but the reality is that a good breeder is doing this for love of their breed not the almighty dollar. There are much easier ways to turn a profit!