Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Hello from Toronto! it's me, Janice

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
What breeders exactly ahave no selfish motives? The cost of these animals alone answers the question. I'm not saying there isn't a love of the breed, or a wanting to improve the breed. But this is not selfless either. Let's just get real on that fact.
There are some large scale breeders who are in it for the money. Huge operations that chug out kittens year-round and charge exorbitant amounts for the cats regardless of the quality of the cat. IMO, they've turned life into a commodity. It's something I personally won't support. They look glitzy and glamorous on the outside but all is not as it seems.

The majority are hobby breeders who do it for love of the breed. They've been mentored by experienced breeders, done the research, made the commitment to the breed. It usually costs them more to raise the cats than they get in return from sales. Most ethical breeders try to attain the breed standard. To do that, they are choosy about the lines brought into their breeding program. There are breeders who don't care about pedigree. They're usually the same ones who just care about the money. It sounds as though you have experienced that type of breeder at least once.

But let's get really real. Most hobby breeders do not get rich from breeding these cats. They do not churn out litter after litter. They can tell their own stories here if they choose. We have had discussions here before in which they speak about the real costs -- financial and emotional -- of raising their cats. Breaking even for them is a good year and it doesn't happen consistently.

One of the key differences between the selfish backyard breeder and the selfish hobby breeder is that the former has a weak moral compass, caring about fulfilling personal desires and usually trying to make money at the expense of the cat and the buyer. We've seen the tragic outcomes here far too often.

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
I'm not saying that everyone is in it for the money. I'm refuting the point taken that this is a selfless act.
There are a lot of good breeders out there, but a lot of bad ones like any other business. And it is a business also. Ive experienced both sides of the coin. Take my money and be there for me, take my money and ignore me. So it has good and bad so i do see your point Janice

Patti

Admin
Staff member
What breeders exactly ahave no selfish motives? The cost of these animals alone answers the question. I'm not saying there isn't a love of the breed, or a wanting to improve the breed. But this is not selfless either. Let's just get real on that fact.
Okay, reality check - this past year my expenses only exceeded my income by $5000 - that was my best year ever in 12 years of breeding, usually my expenses are closer to $10,000 over income.

I'm also not clear on how love of the breed or a desire to improve the breed is selfish on the breeder's part?

Snookie

Savannah Super Cat
Patti you and a few other breeders are the exception. You want to improve the breed and have a healthy breed because you love what you do and its out of love that you do it. I havent seen that it a lot of breeders. They can have physically healthy kittens but there are other issues wrong with these kittens. They say they are raised underfoot, a common term, but in reality, its nothing like that. I know people that have kittens that are viscous, and its not a savannah thing, its a thing that is caused by bad upbringing of the kittens. Not socialized, emotional problems, you name it. Some breeders are good, some are not, its the nature of life sadly.

admin

Paige
Staff member
The breeders on this forum very much love the breed and want to improve the breed, which is why we sometimes may sound harsh, when confronted with someone wanting to have one litter for whatever reason...

Also we all dedicate our time here...to help pet owners, enthusiasts and other breeders.. All for the love and advancement of the breed