Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Help me with my Sbt Savannah. Please?

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
Okay so should I be alarmed at all that at times she'll jump right into my face like she would with her toys? She doesn't attack my face but literally tonight she did it like 4 times. She'd jump at me like she was about to pounce, the first time she jumped over me (in which that time she ended up licking my forehead, and then trying to chew my hair - which i told her "no" to and she stopped). The second time she just came up to sniff me around my chin. The third time she licked my cheek and jumped off right away. The forth time she was coming from the opposite direction, pounced onto the couch, left her "prey" the toy mouse - literally on my neck, and then bounded down and sat on my legs.

To clarify - this was while I was laying on the couch watching tv, I'd played with her with her feather toy mostly tonight before just laying down. I'm very tired tonight. Anyway she was doing tonight much like she was last night playing with the mouse on top of me, and then when she'd stop I'd throw it, and then she'd chase after it, play with it some and then play with it some more on top of me. At times she gave me the mouse like I swear a proud cat would bring food home lol.

But I'm a little cautious of her pouncing/jumping up to me essentially looking like she's in stalking mode on my stomach. Each time she's done it she's been kind of playful but she is also a very hard player sometimes. I really don't want to fall asleep sometime to have her biting the crap out of my face...

***not necessary info*** That actually happened to me once with my first cat (the one I had for 17+ years) but that's because he was over stimulated and just briefly lashed out - happening to catch me right below and above one of my eyes - he'd never done that before or after (but he was a indoor/outdoor cat and not quite as playful as savannah's - he was a Siamese).

I'm slowly learning to trust her as she's slowly learning to trust me. In the past she was so much of a nipper that I usually expect nipping. Now that she hasn't done that lately I usually let my guard down quite a bit but then I'll get a surprise nip. As long as I'm awake I'm not afraid of her. It's when I attempt sleeping with her that I'm afraid of that pounce at the wrong time or something. So I think for a while I won't be sleeping with her until I'm more comfortable with her antics (which she's changing daily for the better!!!) :)

admin

Paige
Staff member
brandy, she is stalking her prey - her little mouse...

She is a kitten and they do things like this...you can always get a little bed for her to sleep in and put it on your bed, so she can sleep with you...

relax, relax, relax...you worry too much about her behavior, which is perfectly normal.

Kristin

Animal Communicator
Zeddie's done that kind of thing before, but she is very aware of me, and is very careful to keep her nails in. It sounds like Sabriel just wants to play...hopefully she will learn the difference between play time and sleep time, so she can snuggle you when your sleeping :)

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Sounds to me like Sabriel loves you very much. I'm just curious...how did you come up with her name? It's different, and I like it.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
I'm thinking she is annoyed your are watching TV and not playing with her. Mayhem works this angle all the time.

Brandy DW

Missing Neka, Loving Sabriel, Nakaia, & Trance
Paige - she doesn't use her cat beds much, she prefers to sleep in her cat tree. As for my worrying about her behavior too much that's why I'm asking the questions on here - to see if I should be worried about it or not. Neka never did some of the stuff she's doing and Sabriel hasn't done some of the stuff that Neka did. They have completely different personalities so it's a learning process for me with some things. Also the times that she looked at me in her pouncing stance, the toy mouse was right near her, not near me...

Kristin - Sabriel was careful too in that she didn't really bite or scratch me, but she did run all up and down me like I might as well have been the floor lol :p

Rascaldad - See I would wonder that too, but I played with her for a while before laying down to watch tv. She seemed perfectly content to sit/lay on me sometimes playing with her mouse. But yeah she did seem to really have some energy left - for now I won't worry about her pouncing too much.

SV Dad

Savannah Super Cat
Becky, as I sit here typing on SVCC, Mayhem will bring his ball and drop it at my feet. He gives me a moment, but if I don't toss it for him, he will attack my leg with claws. They really get annoyed when you don't do what they want. Each cat is different, you just have to learn what they want.

Trish Allearz

No- she's playing, I wouldn't worry about it. I can understand being concerned since she was a nipper- and I've had DSH kittens who were horrible nippers when I was doing rescue, so truly, I can understand. But at this point, it sounds like she's just being silly :)

Mrs.CC

Savannah Super Cat
Becky, as I sit here typing on SVCC, Mayhem will bring his ball and drop it at my feet. He gives me a moment, but if I don't toss it for him, he will attack my leg with claws. They really get annoyed when you don't do what they want. Each cat is different, you just have to learn what they want.
My Bengal loves to play 'fetch' with the blades from a McDonald's toy helicopter. She'll drop it at our feet and play for hours, if we let her. Makes me wish I'd have been born hyperactive, so I could have a taste of some of that Bengal and Savannah energy! :lol: