Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

How to Know a Breeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
That is pretty puzzling that she would raise the price of the kitten especially if the litter is already going to be registered.
And the most the price should be paid is the few dollars that TICA charges to individually register the kitten.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I know some breeders do this, but I really don't agree. Maybe because I was a pet owner once (and still think like one) and when I bought pedigreed pets I wanted their papers. Not because I was going to use them but as you say to confirm they were what they were sold and really just to have them.

I think it okay if a breeder holds the papers until sent proof of spay/neuter though.

I don't agree with this practice either. I do think that holding the papers until proof of spay neuter is very common.

D

Dantes

And the most the price should be paid is the few dollars that TICA charges to individually register the kitten.
She wants $50 in advance for the paper, which will be provided after proof of neuter (which I understand the 2nd part, but the first seems strange...?)

Brigitte Cowell

Staff member
If the litter is being registered, then I don't see that you have to pay more than the amount for an individual registration, which for TICA is $12 for a non-TICA member ($10 for members). It is costing her as a breeder $13 to register the litter, so even if you added those two fees together it doesn't come to $50?

admin

Paige
Staff member
I don't get it...usually after spay/neuter, the blue slip is given or mailed and you send it in to TICA and pay a fee. Perhaps you could ask why $50?

D

Dantes

Well I was corresponding with one of the breeder's references, she said "One of the kittens has had a condition called Tritrichomonas foetus which is a parasite found in water and needs to be treated. Some cats get it and some don't, she was more sensitive as the others did not get it. It was easily treated."

I just read Brehart's thread about this and the cure sounds terrible. I think it's time to look for a new breeder.

:(

karenleigh

Savannah Super Cat
Hello,

My advice would be to trust your instinct and do your research, but your instinct really plays the biggest role.

The 3 that I have are from 2 different breeders. The ones I contacted prior to my choices either didn't respond or were not very accommodating or helpful. I will say that I met all of these wonderful people after my decision so I don't think I am referring to any of them when I make that statement. The ones I did choose answered my million questions without getting annoyed and my cats came with a health guarantee and I got regular updates until I picked them up.

Papers should be included in the price, pet or breeder. Unless they are selling the cat really cheap and wanting to raise the price for papers. I spoke to a dog breeder once who did that. He had German shepherds without papers but if I wanted papers it was $200 more. I knew a person who got 2 dogs from him so I didn't really think it was odd but if the price is already high and they want to make it higher for papers, I would question that.

It sounds like you already have a bad feeling about this breeder and I am not telling you what to do, but maybe you should trust that. If it's not comfortable there might be a reason. This is a very big commitment and you should be comfortable with that decision for you and your new cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.