Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

introductions - am I on the right track?

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Hi, I have been letting my kitten meet my other two cats over the past few days. She is so keen to be friends that she almost knocks them off their paws as she greets them! Moses and Morris do their best to tolerate this but her play is very full on - chasing, leaping on them and playbiting! My oldest boy just hisses and growls and she does seem to have a bit of respect for him. Although she will keep coming back for more - Morris is an outdoor cat so will end up waiting to be let out once he has had enough. I let him go as I hope eventually they will settle. My other cat, Moses, is just over a year old and I had hoped he would get on with my kitten and enjoy the play. He is doing his best and will start playing or chasing her back. But he gets no chance to catch his breath and tries to hide from her. I feel so sorry for him as she will just bite at his paws or tail whatever is sticking out from under the sofa! And she can still get to him. I have a few places on top of cupboards that I have made into cat beds but she can reach them all. I know its just a game to her but I have to separate them in the end as they get breathless! I put her back in the quarantine room or I put Moses out in the enclosure. Kitoko is happy to go into her room she seems to have worked out that's when its time to sleep. I am also increasing the amount of time she spends out of her room and she gets lots of time, when the boys are out, to explore the house. Its still too exciting for her to sleep anywhere other than her room though. Do you think she will settle down a bit with the boys or at least respect them when they hiss and growl at her? I am happy to just build up the time she spends with them until they all naturally accept each other. I know its a trait in the SV to be lively I just hoped the boys would cope better than they are. Does it sound like I'm doing the right thing? No more accidents - since the pee on my foster daughter's bed! And she is getting better at being handled - well stroked at least - and only when she isn't concentrating fully! But its progress! She seems to be connecting even better with me and will often run and greet me if I have been out for a couple of hours even climbing against my leg! This is all fine as long as I don't reach down to pet her as she will scoot off! She is the most lovely little thing and I love being around her I just want them all to share the house together. Its been five weeks and she still sleeps with me in the quarantine room. She is out a lot during the day so maybe I've just answered my own question - be patient? ;)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I don't remember if you ever told us what generation Kitoko is, but I think I remember you talking about her being scruffed on a daily basis. I am guessing - perhaps - that she was raised in a very small area (crate or small room) and never had the run of a house before. Perhaps once she becomes more familiar with her new home she will slow down somewhat, but it sounds like she is just a high energy kitten which will translate into a high energy cat. She may settle down a bit, but with Savannahs it sometimes take 3-4 years before they truly slow down.

I think it will be important to continue to separate the cats when they are unsupervised. As long as Morris stands his ground he will most likely eventually put her in her place. As long as Moses continues to run she will continue to chase him. I would try to find a safe place that is for him only - even if it is in another room away from her.

One thing you might try is to play with her for a good 20-30 minutes with a wand, other toy that will get her to exert herself and wear herself out before you let her out of her room. Once she is out, if she tries to go after one of the boys try distracting her with the wand toy. Then try playing with her side by side with Moses (and Morris), each with their own wand toy so they are in close proximity to each other but not necessarily interacting with each other.

I do think you can eventually find a peaceful co-existence between the three of them, and hopefully some camaraderie amongst them, but it may take a long time, and as you said patience.

As for your bonding with Kitoko, it sounds like you are doing quite well. I am convinced that her dislike of petting is due to her early experience with being scruffed every time a human came near her. That was her entire life's experience with humans until she met you and it will definitely take time and patience to overcome. She may never want to be petted, but the fact that she is greeting you when you come home is very encouraging, and you may find her crawling into your lap for a nap one of these days. In the meantime, next time you reach down to her, instead of trying to stroke her, have a treat in your hand to give her - if she takes it from you then you can stroke her (if possible). Try to associate the stroking with treats or other good things. I don't know if she has a favorite treat but I find that the vast majority of cats go batty over freeze dried chicken treats.

Please keep us posted on how things are going! And more pics would be a treat for us!!! ;)

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Patti, Kitoko is an F2. I believe you are right she had a small room while with the breeder so it must be a bit overwhelming having a lot more space to explore. I will try and make some new hidey holes for the boys to escape to as I think she might settle if she can't get at them! I have tried distracting them all with the wand toys and will keep trying - I think it's still too early days - live friends are far more enticing!!! I just got the boys to come into her room so that she would follow and then she can have lunch and sleep time - this went really well and although Moses isn't motivated by his tummy. Morris pushed her head out of her food bowl and she let him have a sniff of her chicken. They both had a couple of treats while side by side before I took the boys out. She settles down really quickly and I have left her sleeping. I will play with her before she comes out this afternoon and see if that calms her a little. 3-4 years you say!!! Lol!!

I like the idea of reaching down with a treat rather than trying to pet her - it's just an automatic reaction to go and stroke her but I can see that that would work really well. She will lay on my lap or between my legs and have a little sleep - I try to stroke her gently then on a paw (dangerous I know) or anywhere that isn't too sensitive. Yes she was scruffed everyday and I was reading some other threads about the kitten just going limp when you do this and that they will calm down? I just dread the day I may need to do that. I am willing her to be healthy until her next annual booster.

I will get some more photo's and even maybe some video - not that I will have a clue how to post that. Must dash to the shop while the baby is sleeping!!

Thank you for the great advice as usual and I will keep you posted..

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
_20140725_223249.JPG IMG_20140713_221606305.jpg Hi Patti, we had a quite good afternoon with Kitoko and Morris! Well more of an hour really! But Morris came indoors and had his lunch and he managed this without being too hassled! He also laid in the kitchen for a while and I managed to get Kitoko playing with me and leaving him alone. She is also understanding the word NO and seems to do her kitten best to leave him alone and although it didn't last very long I thought it was a good sign. Morris even raised his tail - briefly - as he passed her as if in greeting. Moses has spent the afternoon in the enclosure.

I tried to add some photos but I couldn't seem to add many? I have tried to add one of the back of her head just to show you she is kind-of on my lap! Lovely big ears!

Attachments

• IMG_20140728_162209779.jpg
    IMG_20140728_162209779.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 12
  • _20140725_223249.JPG
    _20140725_223249.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 11
  • _20140724_164906.JPG
    _20140724_164906.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20140728_162209779.jpg
    IMG_20140728_162209779.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 11

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Oh dear I think I have added some photos twice - not very capable when it comes to technology! I just had to add one more of my sleeping beauty! Trouble is I need to get on with some chores! She has never slept so soundly on me yet! She is in full dream mode now! Ahhh :)

Attachments

• IMG_20140728_164110596.jpg
    IMG_20140728_164110596.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 9

Carykd7kau

Reincarnated cat Moderator
Kitoko is just gorgeous. Her ocelli are very pronounced. She is a fine looking young lady. You have a wonder there Evie. :)

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
Hi Cary, thank you and you have an incredibly beautiful SV there yourself! I've just noticed a small lump on one of Kitoko's ears. I had thought it was a bit of food or something and as I can't really handle her I can't really investigate. But just now I a brief feel and it felt like a lump!!? I think I will email the breeder and see what she says. I still can't get close enough to have a really good feel of it but I don't want it growing. It is noticeable because the hair on it is a different colour to the rest of her ear. Maybe I should start a new thread and see if anyone has seen similar on their cat's ears. I know the breeder will just ask why I haven't been 'handling' her everyday.

Carykd7kau

Yes, do start a thread. Don't like lumps..although it could be a little abscess form a smack from one the other kitties.

Evie

Savannah Super Cat
I will do - thanks and iv'e found a photo which shows it fairly clearly. I noticed it after she had been with me a few days so not the boys. It really looked like something stuck to her fur at first as I remember thinking that it would probably grow out or fall off before I can get it off for her! Oh dear i'm getting worried now. I will see what everyone thinks. Thank you Cary

Carykd7kau

DON'T WORRY. It does nothing to help and only makes you feel bad. Concern is ok. But action is best. Have it looked at. It may be nothing but if it is something, It can be treated and or removed.