Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kitten Teeth

B

Breheart

Should I be worried about my kitten having a few areas where he has double teeth growing in? Like his adult tooth came in but the baby is still there and never came out. I see two extras as far as I can tell with how long Keljin will allow me to look into his mouth.

He is 6 months old, is this something I should allow more time to see if it will correct or is this something I should be more concerned about?

Trish Allearz

I think typically, it's normal around this time for you to still see baby teeth where the adult teeth are coming in. Some like to cling on for all that they are worth! Is Keljin neutered yet? If not- then don't worry- your vet will offer to pull any remaining baby teeth when he gets snipped :) (And you can always mention it to them too when you drop off!)

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I'm sitting on the couch with Juba one day when he was about 6 mos. old and he yawned really huge. Lo and behold, he had 8 canines -- 4 on top & 4 on the bottom. The baby canines were a bit wonky and tilted a bit outward. After my panic attack subsided, I LOLed til I cried. Funniest thing I ever saw. I have no idea how long they were like that but the baby canines were gone 2 days later. Dracula kitty x 8.

Kristine

Should I be worried about my kitten having a few areas where he has double teeth growing in? Like his adult tooth came in but the baby is still there and never came out. I see two extras as far as I can tell with how long Keljin will allow me to look into his mouth.

He is 6 months old, is this something I should allow more time to see if it will correct or is this something I should be more concerned about?
No do not be worried about the "shark teeth" the baby teeth will eventually come out. I remember my second Savannah had shark teeth and I freaked out and went to the vet who told me not to worry.

B

Breheart

Okay thanks everyone that is a relief. I had a feeling it was normal, but I wanted to check before going in somewhere and being crazy :p

K

Kronos

If they don't fall out on their own by the time he is around 10mo - 1 year old you can have a vet pull them out.

B

Breheart

and to answer earlier, yes Keljin was already neutered last month. I will give it another half year, but I would rather avoid vet costs of pulling teeth! I will let nature take its course, and for now I will just have to deal and put up with the extra teeth he has to help poke me when he gives me love nibbles :)

Marissa

Savannah Super Cat
I remember when my little girl had double canines. I have a few pictures where the old tooth looked like a snaggle tooth. It looked like she was sneering at you in the pics!

K

Kronos

My pup, Coco, retained 3 canine teeth. I waited until she was 17 months old hoping they would fall out, wiggling them daily, and they wouldn't budge. I had to pay to have them removed :cry:

Trish Allearz

and to answer earlier, yes Keljin was already neutered last month. I will give it another half year, but I would rather avoid vet costs of pulling teeth! I will let nature take its course, and for now I will just have to deal and put up with the extra teeth he has to help poke me when he gives me love nibbles :)
You still have time... I don't think cats tend to retain baby teeth as often as dogs.