Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Kittens and moving??

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
So I am picking my kitten up in 4 days and of course i'm super excited but i have a dilemma! I just got a new job that will have me moving in a few weeks. Because the job notice is so short term i will live with my relative for a few months before i get my own place there. Then i will have to move AGAIN into my own little nest. That's 3 moves for the little guy...
I'm worried because i wonder if it's enough time for Titus to adjust properly. What if he gets stressed from moving so much? Will it effect our bonding? Or cause any behavioral issues? Have any of you had to move with your cats, and if so how did they fare? I'm a chronic worrier... :(

WitchyWoman

Admin
Staff member
I've moved with adult DSHs but not my savannahs. Seems it would be important, especially when you are living with your relative, that the kitten have a dedicated space just for him. Probably your bedroom when you're with your relative, where no one else goes and where he has a hidey place and lots of familiar things (toys, bed) that he got used to before you moved. And my gut tells me that it will be particularly important that you establish a schedule that he can count on -- feeding & playing at particular times where he knows you'll be around and he can count on certain things happening at certain points of the day. I think that a routine will give him a greater sense of security during the changes.

Each time I moved with my DSHs they stayed in the bedroom closet three days before venturing out to explore the new place. I put their food, water, & litter within easy reach and let them decide when it was time to come out of hiding.

These changes don't necessarily have to be a bad thing for Titus. Depending on his socialization and temperament, it could make him more adaptable to new people and places. Just be sure that nothing scary happens to him during the moves so he doesn't associate change with bad things.

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
Yeah i plan to keep him in his own little space with me where no one should bother him until he adjusts. And thank you for the scheduling tip, i will make sure to be consistent. I really hope it just helps him to be more adaptable, i didn't really think of that :)

Patti

Admin
Staff member
I think you will need to reorient Titus to the new home each time you move. If you are starting him out in your current home in a bathroom or bedroom, that is where I would start him in each subsequent move. I believe what is important is that he establishes familiarity with certain things, like you (a given of course :- ), a cat bed, cat condo, certain toys, food dishes, etc. and make sure these items travel with him and stay with him for each subsequent move.

Another thing you can try is to socialize him to new and different environments before moving (work, PetsMart, etc.) so that change isn't such a big deal, but in your case you may not have enough time to do this before your first move since you will need him to first settle into his new home and bond with you.

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
I think you will need to reorient Titus to the new home each time you move. If you are starting him out in your current home in a bathroom or bedroom, that is where I would start him in each subsequent move. I believe what is important is that he establishes familiarity with certain things, like you (a given of course :- ), a cat bed, cat condo, certain toys, food dishes, etc. and make sure these items travel with him and stay with him for each subsequent move.

Another thing you can try is to socialize him to new and different environments before moving (work, PetsMart, etc.) so that change isn't such a big deal, but in your case you may not have enough time to do this before your first move since you will need him to first settle into his new home and bond with you.
Okay i was thinking of this, re-quarantining him. And familiar items, check! And yes, good idea, I will try to socialize him. Of course after im sure he is comfortable with me first. Crossing my fingers and hoping he'll love me right off the bat though.. lol!

Kristine

So I am picking my kitten up in 4 days and of course i'm super excited but i have a dilemma! I just got a new job that will have me moving in a few weeks. Because the job notice is so short term i will live with my relative for a few months before i get my own place there. Then i will have to move AGAIN into my own little nest. That's 3 moves for the little guy...
I'm worried because i wonder if it's enough time for Titus to adjust properly. What if he gets stressed from moving so much? Will it effect our bonding? Or cause any behavioral issues? Have any of you had to move with your cats, and if so how did they fare? I'm a chronic worrier... :(
That is a lot of moves for him and for you. I would keep a very consistent routine of feeding, play time, etc. Cats thrive on routine. If you keep the routine up, then he will have less of a hard time dealing with the move. One of my kitten buyers just drove across the country from California to Tenn. with her two cats, lived in one hotel, then another and finally moved into a rental home. In between she had twins. The key to the cats not freaking out was maintenance of a consistent routine for feeding, treats and playtime. So far so good and no behavioral issues at all. I do not think it will affect bonding. Keep him in your room during the moves for the most part and spend lots of time with him. I hate moving, haven't moved in more than 20 years, and I do not envy you at all, but think you and your Titus will be just fine.

J.B.

Savannah Super Cat
That is a lot of moves for him and for you. I would keep a very consistent routine of feeding, play time, etc. Cats thrive on routine. If you keep the routine up, then he will have less of a hard time dealing with the move. One of my kitten buyers just drove across the country from California to Tenn. with her two cats, lived in one hotel, then another and finally moved into a rental home. In between she had twins. The key to the cats not freaking out was maintenance of a consistent routine for feeding, treats and playtime. So far so good and no behavioral issues at all. I do not think it will affect bonding. Keep him in your room during the moves for the most part and spend lots of time with him. I hate moving, haven't moved in more than 20 years, and I do not envy you at all, but think you and your Titus will be just fine.
Routine, routine, routine! And i thought cats were spontaneous ;) lol will do! I was a military kid, so i'm used to moving around and hopefully i wont give off any stress vibes. I hope he does acclimate well and like to travel, i would love to go places with him

Wyldthingz

Savannah Super Cat
Kittens are pretty flexible. I think he should do okay with all that as long as he doesn't get neglected in the process. I know I go into move-mode and I become like a packing, cleaning, organizing machine until I drop from exhaustion. They say the stress of moving is greater than that of someone dying in the family!

Sue

Savannah Super Cat
My daughter has moved her 2 dsh cats 10 times in 12 years. Most moves were job related. Her only problem was if there was any small area that the cat could get into and hide, Chloe found a way. The first time she was closed in a bathroom and somehow found a hole under the sink cabinet. After that she would inspect a room for all tiny holes before letting Chloe out of the carrier. Even with that she still managed to get into the dead space behind a kitchen cabinet. This was when she was living in grandma's condo for 6 months while grandma was up north. We came close to putting a whole in the wall to get her out. My mother had talked about there being a dead space and we had tossed around the idea of putting in a cabinet door and creating a cabinet for storing tablecloths and napkins in. She almost got it that day. Plates of tuna usually got her to come out on her own, when she got hungry enough. Sue

Jacq

Savannah Super Cat
Kittens are pretty flexible. I think he should do okay with all that as long as he doesn't get neglected in the process. I know I go into move-mode and I become like a packing, cleaning, organizing machine until I drop from exhaustion. They say the stress of moving is greater than that of someone dying in the family!
I'm with you there Kelly. When I moved to San Diego from Coarsegold, I had lived in Coarsegold for 20 years, so it was a major undertaking to move. AND i did it all by myself because Curt was already here in san Diego.