1. Welcome to SavannahCatChat.com!

The Savannah Cat Chat Community is a one-stop place for you to meet new people and share your love of Savannahs with like minded individuals, as well as a place to find answers to all of your Savannah questions. Register to post, ask questions and become involved with our awesome Savannah cat breed.

Once you sign up, you will need to be approved before you can post. Usually this is a quick process.

Already a member? Login Here!

Leaving Your SV Out

Discussion in 'Savannah Cat Questions? Need Savannah Cat Advice?' started by Kronos, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Kronos

Kronos Guest

I really want to start letting Kronos have free run of the house. We have been confining him at night and during the day when we are not home to supervise. He has an entire bedroom and an attached bathroom all to himself, complete with a fishtank to watch for entertainment and a large cat tree, and his food, box, and toys. Whenever I go in his room I usually find him sleeping in his window hammock.

I have tried a few times letting him have free run, and always come home to find something he did naughty! Last night I left him out for 4 hours and came home to find my entire curtain rod on the ground and evidence that he was on the coffe table, kitchen table, and kitchen counter tops. (I had aluminum foil up there I guess he thinks it is a toy rather than a deterrant!) I am not so worried about him getting on the tables because there is nothing there that he can break.. I would just rather him not be up there. On the counters however his dirty paws will contaminate my clean cooking surface.... but seriously? Pulling down the curtains? I am not sure if this little guy is ever going to earn his freedom.

The other time I left him out I came home to find that he figured out how to get into the garbage. I thought it was a SV proof garbage because it has a lid. Well he can open the lid like a little raccoon and get into all the smelly goodness that the garbage has.

My Ragdoll was given free run from day 1 being home and the worst things he ever does is get on the table to steal a piece of paper to play with or something.

2. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

I've always had cats (even before Savannahs) that would get on counters when we weren't there...cats just like higher surfaces. I clean counters before I start cooking as a habit... they know not to get up on a counter if I am working there.

I think I mentioned in another thread that I had to find curtains that were less attractive to kitty claws... it's natural for them to want to climb and they see curtains as a way UP..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Breheart

Breheart Guest

I am just having this same trouble with Keljin lately, but only with the shower curtain. All the windows in my house have blinds instead, and he hasn't attempted those (my ferret does though, she loves weaving in between the wooden slots lol!) But I have a bunch of claw holes and loose threads all the way up my shower curtain. I will replace it with a plastic one or less attractive one for him. I am just lazy and haven't gotten around to it yet.

Maybe we can shop together and help each other find some nice replacements :)

As far as Kronos goes, start giving him free run more often. Hopefully the game of being naughty will become less attractive the more often he is left out. I am thinking maybe its just so EXCITING right now, because its so infrequent and rare for him. Once he has been out 24/7 for a week he will get used to the whole house being accessible at all times and calm down a bit with the trouble?

4. Brigitte Cowell

Brigitte Cowell Moderator Staff Member

Very good point that a lot of the high-spiritedness could be overexcitement at being left the whole house to play in and that will dissipate with some time... then if you can find less-attractive "furniture toys" then it will improve further...but really Savanndalism was the termed coined for their behavior so there is just so much you can expect in improvements!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Love the term "Savanndalism" :D

6. admin

admin Paige Staff Member

I do as brigitte and clean counters very often...there is just no way I can think of to keep them off of the counters and actually they use the counter sometimes as a jumping off point from the catwalk.

as for Savanndalism...no way to prevent it ;) I have blinds and both SV's manage to get themselves inside the blinds and wreak havoc. Just gotta love 'em for their nuances and creative thinking :cool:

7. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Sounds like I am on the losing side of this "keep your cat off the counters" battle :p

8. Dantes

Dantes Guest

I know this is sort of the wrong forum, but the word blinds conjured up images of my feral:

30671_400583427054_659152054_4467826_1380662_n.jpg 30671_400583432054_659152054_4467827_3794538_n.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  9. tkymasters

tkymasters Guest

Both of mines learned NO pretty quick.. I would allow him to roam freely when you are there and discipline as necessary... Mines will not go close to the kitchen table... Whenever they jumped on the table. hand slap on the counter and a loud NO.. That will scare them off and rub my legs for forgiveness. Do that enough and they'll get the idea.. Kronos is to the point he will ask permission to do things. I never hit him, spray water, or threw anything at him. It's all been a loud distraction with a firm NO.

Just like the Dog Whisperer always said.. exercise... They need it.. Kronos knows he is going for a walk when we get home. Kirby knows she will be playing with the feather toy after her wipe down.. keep it the same everyday and they will fall inline. Kronos will be very upset when we don't go for a walk because of the weather, but I make it up to him by taking him to the store for a walk.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kronos

Kronos Guest

Oh trust me, Kronos knows the word no. He is actually very well behaved when we are here.. just so smart that when unattended all hell breaks loose hah.

• Like Like x 1