Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Legend Leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

MM3

Site Supporter
OMG. ..... I am just curious and seeking information to learn and educate myself what I would not consider belaboring the issue. My vet is a very intelligent doctor. He is I'm sure not referring to situations where bottle feeding is necessary to keep babies alive! Come on folks let's be real here. He volunteers many many hours at shelters and goes above and beyond the call of duty. All this information is like reading a book.....you take what you want and the rest just floats away. My vet nor I meant to give the impression that all bottle fed furbabies are "basket cases" ( your verbage not mine). I know enough to arrive at an intelligent conclusion that all cats/kittens are NOT all alike. Let's TAKE this back to a professional level here. I was just interested in the concept and the POSSIBLE connection to MY PERSONAL KITTEN. THE END!!

Trish Allearz

You repeatedly stated your vet has claimed bottle fed babies have multiple issues. If this was the case, it wouldn't matter the reasoning behind bottling.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to know the why of things. It's only natural. However, there are many many reasons why animals do what they do.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)

John Popp

Site Supporter
Concur MM3, cooler heads need to prevail and I'm certain no one wanted to shoot the messenger or chastise anyone for asking the question. Not how people here generally roll and certainly lots of people who are passionate about the way they raise their kittens.

Nobody wants to wander into a hornets nest and I certainly don't think anyone intended to kick it.

Trish Allearz

Once again, no problem asking questions, but generalizations about kittens that are bottle raised might be best left to those who've handled a few over the years :)

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)

admin

Paige
Staff member
Listen guys - I am blunt at times, I'm not gonna lie...I try to stay out of these discussions, if I can, but sometimes I cannot. I have many hats I wear on this forum from breeder to pet owner to mediator to forum owner...and I am often dragged in many different directions.

Bottom line is that this quote was used in another thread, "Vet doc said ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY IS A DIRECT CONNECTION BETWEEN KITTENS TAKE AWAY FROM THEIR MUM AND BOTTLE FED AND HOST OF BEHAVIORAL PROBLEMS." - at that point, I said it was BS and asked where your vet got his info...

One cannot make blanket statements like that on this forum and not expect to be challenged...especially after others who have bottle fed have explained the hows and whys...

I'm sorry if it sounded harsh - let's move on.

Lori Greer

Cahaba Cats
OMG. ..... I am just curious and seeking information to learn and educate myself what I would not consider belaboring the issue. My vet is a very intelligent doctor. He is I'm sure not referring to situations where bottle feeding is necessary to keep babies alive! Come on folks let's be real here. He volunteers many many hours at shelters and goes above and beyond the call of duty. All this information is like reading a book.....you take what you want and the rest just floats away. My vet nor I meant to give the impression that all bottle fed furbabies are "basket cases" ( your verbage not mine). I know enough to arrive at an intelligent conclusion that all cats/kittens are NOT all alike. Let's TAKE this back to a professional level here. I was just interested in the concept and the POSSIBLE connection to MY PERSONAL KITTEN. THE END!!

OK, I'll chime in here... We have an F5 female that is gorgeous, typey, and basically hates people. She was not properly socialized before we got her, but here she is. She had a fabulous litter of kittens, they were beautiful, healthy BUT we could not see, sex or even handle them for more than 7 weeks because we couldn't get near her babies without totally freaking her out. She was a fabulous mother caring for her kittens, but it took a LOT of work getting those kitten socialized once we finally separated them. Knowing now what we didn't know then, I will most definitely be pulling any future kittens from her at no more than 4 weeks. The queen's issues are the fault of her breeder, it is my responsibility to ensure that her offspring are raised properly so that they are healthy, well adjusted additions to any pet home. Is it my preference to hand rear babies? Hell no! However with this particular girl it is the best choice.

Patti

Admin
Staff member
According to my vet, a study was conducted and kittens taken away from nursing naturally have many mental behavioral issues. My vet isn't going on hear say but documented reports. Everyone has a right to believe what they wish but it makes sense to me. The bond between baby and mum is broken, security baby must feel isn't reinforced daily with nursing. My question is why?
Please ask your vet to provide a link to the study he is quoting - obviously there are many of us here who are curious to read these findings. As I previously posted, the only study results I found relating pica and kitten rearing was early weaning (meaning putting them on solid food too early), not from bottle feeding. As with others, I've never had, nor have I heard of a kitten that has been bottle raised who has had behavioral issues - GI issues definitely because formula is never as good as mother's milk, but not behavioral. If there is a study out there that says otherwise I would like to review it for my own education. Thanks so much!

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
I don't trust cutting Edge. A month ago I had emailed them asking about sbts. f5 or later and just the other day they responded for the first time stating they had f2 kittens available and price. claims were bottle fed in the email as if a selling point ? And I had previously said I was in ny state in the email I initially had sent. I responded to the email with a no thank you, not legal in this state. Then recieved an email saying that it wouldn't be a problem? Um red flag...... Definate red flag. Also mentioned the legend leopards in that email. I don't see what makes them so special. I could get a pixiebob or Maine coon if I wanted a completely domesticated acting cat that's big.. I mean they can get much heavier than a savannah. But I don't care about weight. Savannah's are gorgeous. And those endless legs and beautiful markings. And crazy little personalities. I'm hooked

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Becki

Savannah Super Cat
I don't trust cutting Edge. A month ago I had emailed them asking about sbts. f5 or later and just the other day they responded for the first time stating they had f2 kittens available and price. claims were bottle fed in the email as if a selling point ? And I had previously said I was in ny state in the email I initially had sent. I responded to the email with a no thank you, not legal in this state. Then recieved an email saying that it wouldn't be a problem? Um red flag...... Definate red flag. Also mentioned the legend leopards in that email. I don't see what makes them so special. I could get a pixiebob or Maine coon if I wanted a completely domesticated acting cat that's big.. I mean they can get much heavier than a savannah. But I don't care about weight. Savannah's are gorgeous. And those endless legs and beautiful markings. And crazy little personalities. I'm hooked

There are other reasons to be concerned with this breeder than the bottle feeding. Read through this thread for education, I wouldn't let the bottle feeding piece be the reason for or against a kittens. This breeder is concerning for more legit reasons.

admin

Paige
Staff member

Guys Chris STILL hasn't learned his lesson. .. And doesn't care that his kittens may go to a city or state where they are illegaland may at zine point be confiscated. ... sad

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.