Savannah Cat Chat - THE Place for Savannah Cat Talk

Welcome to the Savannah Cat Chat Forum! Our forum has been in existence since 2012 and is the only one of its kind. We were here, serving the savannah cat community before Facebook and Instagram! Register for a free account today to become a member! Please use an email program other than Hotmail, since Hotmail accounts are blacklisted by many servers and ISP's. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site in some of the forums by adding your own topics and posts. But in order to take advantage of the full features, such as a private inbox as well as connect with other members ad access some of the larger topics, a donation of $2.99/mo or $25/yr is requested. This will allow us to continue running this forum!

Legend Leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bekki

Savannah Super Cat
It's greedy and selfish. this is where the difference in breeders comes to play. There is a huge difference between a money motivated breeder and a breeder who jut loves what they do.

"Those who wander aren't always lost"

Trish Allearz

I will add that many of my f2 owners are surprised to hear that we don't pull kittens from their moms to handraise and it must be because some use that as a selling point. To me, and to most of us here, it makes no sense to pull a happy thriving kitten from a happy thriving momma. As long as momma is social, baby will learn so much from her.

Sent from my so called smartphone so all typos and bad advice can be blamed on said "smart" phone ;)

John Popp

Site Supporter
BTW, I did what I could to see what information there was on bottle feeding and behavioral issues with cats as I couldn't sleep yesterday evening and there was little info available. The only place there seemed to be even anecdotal evidence was when a kitten was removed from contact with it mother, siblings and other cats while being bottle fed which I believe to be a far cry from how any breeder would choose to raise kittens.

sacred

Savannah Super Cat
Kovu's breeder bottle feeds her f1 and f2 babies. It isn't an unheard of or outside the mainstream practice. Not everyone does it this way, but it isn't alarming. Sue mentioned temperament - Kovu is over the top cuddly and even at 8 months, loves been held. Maybe that is just him and he would be the same had he not been hand raised, but I am not willing to totally discount the effect.

I am not defending Chris whatever his name is, don't know him from Adam. Just noting hand raising isn't an awful thing, nor is the choice not to hand raise the "wrong" way in my not a breeder but an owner opinion.

Not defending this guy either, but Zahra (High Percentage F2B) was bottle fed and she too is over the top cuddly relative to other Savannahs. Slept right up on the bed on ZahrasHuman's chest the very first night she was home. Today, ZahrasHuman called me to chat and she mentioned that Zahra jumped right into her arms and she "held her like a baby while she purred." Obviously, this doesn't prove that Zahra's personality is a result of being bottle fed, but it's one more data point.

admin

Paige
Staff member
I think what people are missing is that there is nothing wrong with bottle feeding, but using bottle feeding as a marketing ploy is deceptive...and claiming you bottle feed when you do not is just plain scandalous :)

MM3

Site Supporter
Please ask your vet to provide a link to the study he is quoting - obviously there are many of us here who are curious to read these findings. As I previously posted, the only study results I found relating pica and kitten rearing was early weaning (meaning putting them on solid food too early), not from bottle feeding. As with others, I've never had, nor have I heard of a kitten that has been bottle raised who has had behavioral issues - GI issues definitely because formula is never as good as mother's milk, but not behavioral. If there is a study out there that says otherwise I would like to review it for my own education. Thanks so much!
I have sent an email and requested info

Status
Not open for further replies.